I LOST BABY RUNT!!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I'm so beside myself in grief. Baby Runt was moved yesterday into her brand new enclosure. Everything was set up and she was just exploring her new house this morning. My husband came home to help me with a 5 gallon bucket of hot water so that she could take her daily soak. I was tending to the boys pen when I realizes I had a doctor's appointment at 1:15 p.m. In my rush to get to the appointment, I did not check on Baby Runt after my husband returned to work from lunch. When I returned at 2:30 the cement wall I had placed was knocks over in a corner. She was gone. I frantically looked for her, from house to house, stopping neighbors and asking if they saw her. I couldn't talk yo anyone w/o wailing in years. I'm afraid that perhaps someone may have picked her up and wouldn't know how to care for her special needs. She's on a special diet and medicine. She needs a soak each and everyday or she can easily dehydrate. I've called animal welfare in my town, and my husband and I are working on flyers. I have posted to Craigslist, buy I'm not hopeful I'll ever get her back. I'm crying all the time and can't do anything but pray. God help me find her.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't give up. Get some people to help you look for her. Even if it means crawling on your hands and knees through every inch of your yard and the neighbors yards. Put up signs in your neighborhood. Call all the vets offices and the Humane Society.
I had a tortoise escape out of their enclosure and she was found three weeks later a block and a half away. A combination of Facebook and flyers in my neighborhood helped her get back to me. So don't give up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh so very sorry. Don't give up hope and don't stop looking. We have seen many found on this forum. Be sure to advertise about her special needs. If someone stole her, they won't want the extra hassle a special needs brings. Also post, if placed back in enclosure or returned, no questions asked. Good luck, keep us posted, and I have confidence you will get her back.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh so very sorry. Don't give up hope and don't stop looking. We have seen many found on this forum. Be sure to advertise about her special needs. If someone stole her, they won't want the extra hassle a special needs brings. Also post, if placed back in enclosure or returned, no questions asked. Good luck, keep us posted, and I have confidence you will get her back.
I have looked in crawl spaces and every shrub in my yard and the neighbors. She likes to walk the perimeter of the gutter. If she went in the direction of a busy street, I'm sure someone saw her and picked her up so that she didn't get hit with a car. I'm posting a reward for her return. I need to type up a flyer and have it printed. I'm so depressed and exhausted from being so franticly looking for her that I can't seem to think straight. I will probably get working on the flyers later on tonight. I would like posting them up tomorrow. The killer is that the cold temps will be here soon, and without food, water, and warmth, she won't survive a week!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I am so, so terribly sorry, Sylvia.
You must keep strong for Baby Runt.
Most lost tortoises on this forum do seem to turn up eventually.
I wish you all the very best.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have looked in crawl spaces and every shrub in my yard and the neighbors. She likes to walk the perimeter of the gutter. If she went in the direction of a busy street, I'm sure someone saw her and picked her up so that she didn't get hit with a car. I'm posting a reward for her return. I need to type up a flyer and have it printed. I'm so depressed and exhausted from being so franticly looking for her that I can't seem to think straight. I will probably get working on the flyers later on tonight. I would like posting them up tomorrow. The killer is that the cold temps will be here soon, and without food, water, and warmth, she won't survive a week!
I don't mean don't stop looking today. I mean every day look, and double check places you looked the day before. Your doing all you can.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Where in Florida do you live? I'm so sorry, I'm praying that you find her. What species is she? If you live anywhere near me, I'm always keeping my eye out for torts.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Put the flyers up in pet stores also. I got quite a few calls when I did that. But be aware that people don't know one species of tortoise from another and they all "look alike" in the pictures. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you.

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Where in Florida do you live? I'm so sorry, I'm praying that you find her. What species is she? If you live anywhere near me, I'm always keeping my eye out for torts.

Sibi and I are in the Gulf Coast of Florida. The tortoise we lost was a female Sulcata named Baby Runt. I've attached a recent photo below.

WP_20151211_14_52_10_Pro.jpg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Darn, I live about two hours away. However, your tort is quite a nice size, and I'm sure she will be noticed quickly and returned. I wish the best of luck to you. I honestly have a feeling that she will be returned to you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is awful news. I'm rooting for you to find her. Give you fliers to the different police departments, the fire department and vets in your area. Inside pet stores is a damned good idea. Geez.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yvo
This is awful news. I'm rooting for you to find her. Give you fliers to the different police departments, the fire department and vets in your area. Inside pet stores is a damned good idea. Geez.
Yvonne, I'm grieving so bad, the last time I cries so hard was when I lost my mother. If I even knew someone picked her up to avoid being hit by a car, it would bring me some comfort. But, if they have no intentions of trying to find her owner, them I can't bear the thought that they have no idea how fragile she is or will become if not handfed and soaked. She's also on daily medicine and would become compacted if not returned soon. I'm so sick with grief.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Make sure that your ads and fliers stress the fact that she is ill and needs special food and medication, it will make keeping her less enticing if someone picked her up who hopes to keep her.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Have faith!! keep spread the word. let as many people as possible know about this in your area. you will find him. attach the word that the tortoise is in sick condition and need to be treated soon, this way will make anyone that pick him up will returned him for you (they know they can't keep a sick tort, the tort will die!)

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I'm so sorry, I know how scared you must be. Keep spreading the word. Are you a member of the tortoise forum Facebook page? I know we'd all share a post if you put something together.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so sorry, I know how scared you must be. Keep spreading the word. Are you a member of the tortoise forum Facebook page? I know we'd all share a post if you put something together.
I have a facebook account and put her information on my timeline. Is there another account under tortoise forum?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
So Sorry to hear this, praying you find baby runt. Hang in there.
Thank you so much. I can't sleep, and I'm checking my emails, and facebook. I'll be visiting animals shelters, pet stores, vets offices, and animal shelters in my area later this morning. I find it so hard to care for my other tortoises' needs while this is going on. God help me.