Baby leopard - help!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
In my opinion, it's not necessary to raise it up that high when dealing with a possibly sick tortoise but is a good high temperature in normal circumstances.

Are you able to get him outside at all? There's something magical about being outside for a tortoise and often they eat more readily when outdoors.

Linah4

In my opinion, it's not necessary to raise it up that high when dealing with a possibly sick tortoise but is a good high temperature in normal circumstances.

Are you able to get him outside at all? There's something magical about being outside for a tortoise and often they eat more readily when outdoors.
Unfortunately, it is only 71 degrees here. I have managed to get it down to 98..

Linah4

So I just purchased a murcery vapor bulb (national geographic). How would something like this work if it's sailor light as well? I thought I'm supposed to turn the light off during the night?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not sure what you mean by sailor light.

The lights ideally should be turned off at night. You would want something like a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) if you're looking to increase the nighttime temperatures.

Linah4

I'm not sure what you mean by sailor light.

The lights ideally should be turned off at night. You would want something like a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) if you're looking to increase the nighttime temperatures.
Lol, I meant solar. I got a 125 watt solar heat murcery vapor bulb. Does this include UVB lighting?

So I should have this on during the day and then just put a CHE on at night?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It should say on the box if, though, I imagine it does

Yes keep this light on during the day and have the CHE for nighttime. You should be able to adjust the height of both lamps so that they keep your temperatures where you want them.

Linah4

So I took my little guy to another vet today who seemed a lot more reputable than the last guy. She's been treating reptiles for over 20 yrs and actually gave me advise on the little guy. After doing a full "physical", she diagnosed him with pneumonia, dehydration and said he may not make it being so little :(. She injected him with one vitamin A shot, one fluid injection, vitamaster injection and an antibiotic injection. She assured me that unless the vitamin A was given in high dosages and often, it wouldn't be dangerous to him. They also gave me some powdered food to force feed through a syringe.

She said the temperature was way to high at 101 degrees, and to aim for 85-90 which is still a little high but should do for a sick baby. She also advised me to get rid of the cypress mulch and use only some paper towel and sphagnum moss that I had in his carrying box. She said that he should be able to lift himself up on all fours and walk without struggle that the mulch might cause.

I did leave a bit worried but way more comfortable than I did with the other guys. This vet seems very knowledgeable and the technologists there raised a sick baby leopard tortoise too! I go back on Saturday for the next round of injections.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'd say her recommendations are OK for a temporary ICU sort of set up, but not sure I agree that the cypress mulch would cause the tortoise to struggle while walking.

Did you notice any difference in your tortoises activity level or appetite afterwards?

Linah4

You know, he was up and walking around for about 10 minutes tonight after syringe feeding-but I think I will have a better idea tomorrow... His little legs are probably really sore from all the needles. I didn't try feeding him anything other than the formula they gave me. I have to pick up some dandelion from somewhere. I did notice both of his eyes opened up while he was walking which is an improvement.

kball

YOU HAVE TO HAVE WATER AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES!! Your breeder is a fool if he thinks that they don't need a water bowl. Plus as a hatchling he needs to be socked for at least 15 min everyday. You need to tell the breeder that he is very wrong other wise some of his hatchlings could lose there lives.

Linah4

Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a quick update. Littlefoot is eating dandelion leafs and some wheat grass on his own, and has been pooping everyday for the last several days. He's been much more active and bubbles in nose have reduced. The vet weighed him today and was unfortunately 5g less than the first time he went in weeks ago, so we have to keep an eye on that.

I bought a few new things for him that I was hoping I can get your opinions of. I bought a solar heat murcery vapor bulb... National Geographic (http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...tegoryName=500036&CatalogName=36&SKU=36-21562). Is this a good bulb? I also bough a "all living things" heat lamp with dimmer switch(http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/bu...36-catid-500036?var_id=36-14766&_t=pfm=search). Do these seem good? I tried putting the bulb in the fixture and it tends to turn on and off.. Going to try another bulb to see if it is the fixture or not.

I just wanted to be clear, did somebody say that the coil UVB bulbs are not good for them?

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Yes do not get the coil uvb. if you got a vapor mercury bulb as your previous post said it has uvb plus heat.

Linah4

Is it supposed to make a buzzing sound? I'm a bit worried about it... Also, how do I know what intensity the uv should be?

mikeh

5 Year Member
UVB bulbs including MVBs are NOT designed to be used with dimmers.

Only way to be certain of UV output is to buy a UV solar meter. Expensive but important tool if artificial UVB is used much of the year.

There should be a chart on the box for UV output. I have never heard of this brand but 100-125watt MVB typically needs 18-22" distance to provide sufficient UV levels and heat.

Linah4

Can you ever have too high of UV levels? Also, if I had the dimmer all the way to the end is it equivalent to an on/off fixture? What are the dimmers made for, what type of bulbs?

Linah4

Hey guys,

I was wondering, I have my guy in a sterile container. Would he be safe/have enough oxygen if I left the lid on during the day? I work all day but have cats that might try and get him! the container is about 6 inches tall. So, would it be ok if I put the lid on it (I would drill small holes in the lid for air) and left the MVB on over it?