Baby leopard - help!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It depends on what type of vitamin injection, not all can be harmful. I do agree that there are better ways to get vitamins in your tortoise though.

As I stated before, you should have your tortoise set up where he can be warm around the clock. This is where an enclosed terrarium of sorts is useful. There are many good ideas shared on the forum, I'd recommend searching around for "Closed Chambers" to get some ideas. You will have a much easier time maintaining the heat and humidity in that sort of set up versus an open top sort of set up.

You can maintain the heat with a ceramic heat emitter connected to a thermostat. This is what I use: http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=260&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

What's nice about the above is that it also controls the humidity when connected to to a small humidifier.

You don't need to keep him at one single temperature, but I do recommend that you keep it as stable as possible so theoretically, you wouldn't have a cool end. When the tortoise is better you can set him up in a more normal enclosure.

Linah4

Thank you Neil and dmmj! I will go get one of those heat emitters today!

The vitamin shots say "0.02ml vitamaster, 0.02ml 0.9% NacL". I asked them if there is anyway he could take it other than injection and he said no.

Can the antibiotic be harmful to my little guy? If it is I would rather try currying him without using your guys' methods.

Do any of you know where I would buy orchard or Timothy grass? Again, the breeder told me to feed him lettuce and strawberries so that's what I've been feeding him but I've read that is incorrect.

Thanks again so much for your help - I'm really glad this place exists!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They hay and grass is good. Lettuce is ok in moderation. You can keep the strawberries for yourself. They're not bad per se, but there are much better foods for your leopard that should be fed regularly.

Here's a good list written for sulcatas. A leopard tortoises diet can be exactly the same.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.52677/

Here's a good source for food options. Take a look at their seed options too. Consider planting fresh food in the tortoises enclosure so he can eat and graze throughout the day.

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TortoiseFood

Linah4

please see the attached video for nasal discharge... he was just soaking for about 10-15 minutes about an hour before this.. is this normal?

Linah4

Has anybody ever tried using a screen terrarium? I just bought one on sale but want to know if they are good for the baby?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since no one has answered some discharge from the nose is normal.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is how I got my little leo setup . Pictures say a thousand words . I use two of these lamps . A 24 " uvb fixture and a 100 watt che an a thermostat .
It looks dry but humidity is made by my zoomed repti fogger .

Attachments

• 1400552343110.jpg
    1400552343110.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 1400552440057.jpg
    1400552440057.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1400552452298.jpg
    1400552452298.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 29
  • 1400552467932.jpg
    1400552467932.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1400552479664.jpg
    1400552479664.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 1400552490449.jpg
    1400552490449.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 27

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That little bit yes, but it did not look clear to me, it looked milky.
Here is what is in vitamaster
Active Ingredients
per mL

Vitamin B12

150 mcg

Ammonium ferric citrate

15 mg

Riboflavin 5-phosphate sodium

10 mg

Pyridoxine HCl

10 mg

Niacinamide

100 mg

Dexpanthenol

15 mg

Cobalt gluconate

0.7 mg

Copper gluconate

0.2 mg

Choline chloride

10 mg

Biotin

10 mcg

Inositol

10 mg

dl-methionine

20 mg

L-Lysine HCl

20 mg

Glycine

20 mg

Preservative

Benzyl alcohol

20 mg

Linah4

The vet did advise me not to inject through the back legs, just take turns on the front. Thanks for your input, Dan! What if I created a humid hide? That was my plan. The box also said to increase humidity, wrap their backgrounds around the cage.

Dmmj, I don't think I will give him the vitamins - just the antibiotics.

I just gave him an antibiotic injection and I don't think I did it properly! He hissed and as I injected I felt spray so I don't think I put it all the way! I don't know what I'm doing with this little guy!

Linah4

He ate a bit of lettuce two days ago, but nothing since :(. I tried to give him his shot yesterday but don't think I did it properly. I think I may have hurt his little leg. I called another vet but honestly can't afford a second opinion (though May have to get some help cause I'm not sure what else to do). Trying t new enclosure since yesterday, in a Rubbermaid tub with a more moist substrate. I don't know what to do to get him to eat, it's as if he's rejecting everything but lettuce. Tried grass, dandelion, kale, Timothy hay... He's rejecting everything. Do you know what kind of plants I can get him for his enclosure from the garden centre? Any other tips would be Great :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What is the habitats temperature and how are you measuring it?

Keep feeding him what he eats. If he's not eating anything else, lettuce has some nutrients in it and the idea should be to get him to eat as much as he wants to of what he chooses. A good tip to help him eat better foods is to chop up the foods he does eat with small pieces of the "better foods". Gradually increase the amount of "better foods" at each feeding until he accepts them by themselves.

Linah4

85-95 degrees. it changes based on where his cage is. The cage I got him is all screen, so I'm changing to a Rubbermaid. I will try the lettuce again.

Linah4

Quick question on the substrate... Is it bad if I put a garbage bag beneath all of the substrate in a Rubbermaid box?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What's the purpose of the garbage bag? It could be torn or bitten at and could potentially become compacted inside the tortoise if eaten.

Linah4

Just trying to keep it a bit cleaner, there are so many grooves in the Rubbermaid.

How is the enclosure? I used cypress mulch for the base of it, some sphagnum moss around, and some orchard grass hay. I moved the hide to the other side from what it's in in the picture. Working on getting the temperature to 95 - currently at 83.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would remove the hay which may become moldy if wet. As long as the container keeps the humidity and temperatures where you want them, then it should work fine.

83 is still a bit too cool in my opinion for an ill tortoise. Try to get it up to at least 90.

Linah4

Yup, trying to get it to 90-95! I will remove the hay - thanks for the tip. Anything else I can do to it to make more ideal? Is the hiding spot ok on the less-warm side? I have two heating elements on, on both sides. One 60 watt and one 100 watt.

Linah4

Is it harmful if the temperature reaches 100-105?

He's still not eating :(, not even the lettuce. Not sure what to do...