Baby Greeks For Beginners

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
I've never had a tortoise as a pet, but lots of reptiles. I've got some baby Greeks (Testudo graeca nabeulensis) coming this spring, I hope. Over the last six months or so I've done lots of research on Greeks and have planned for my arrivals. However, last month I came across a post that changed my whole prospective.. All babies need more moisture for the first year or so.
My thought is that there should be a section on how to raise BABY tortoises as that is what most people may buy????
I know each type of tortoise needs are slightly different but vary. It would be nice to have an area where beginners could read and find information for just babies.

Any thoughts? Am I trying to make things too specific?
Thanks for any help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be sure to read the stickies at the top of the Greek section. We have an excellent care sheet there for you to read.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had a tortoise as a pet, but lots of reptiles. I've got some baby Greeks (Testudo graeca nabeulensis) coming this spring, I hope. Over the last six months or so I've done lots of research on Greeks and have planned for my arrivals. However, last month I came across a post that changed my whole prospective.. All babies need more moisture for the first year or so.
My thought is that there should be a section on how to raise BABY tortoises as that is what most people may buy????
I know each type of tortoise needs are slightly different but vary. It would be nice to have an area where beginners could read and find information for just babies.

Thanks for any help.
We have a couple of these threads. Care for greeks is the same as Russians. I'll link them for you. In the second care sheet, I don't agree that they need to be kept 80 degrees all night. I let babies of temperate species cool down at night into the low 70s or high 60s. Read these and then please feel free to ask any questions:

In case you don't see it, soak your baby every day until it reaches at least 100 grams.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA
We have a couple of these threads. Care for greeks is the same as Russians. I'll link them for you. In the second care sheet, I don't agree that they need to be kept 80 degrees all night. I let babies of temperate species cool down at night into the low 70s or high 60s. Read these and then please feel free to ask any questions:

In case you don't see it, soak your baby every day until it reaches at least 100 grams.

Thanks! Very helpful.

lmichaels_22

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Olympia, WA

Looks like I got most covered already but I'm still reading and rereading to get things straight. I ended up buying a DIYCAGES pvc case which is 4x2x2 with glass front. That will help keep the moisture in. Got a mister and feeding and water dishes but need to make a hide for them yet. Also been transplanting dandelions and plantains from near by places to a tortoise patch for easier harvest. I've already had Forget-Me-Nots. Waiting to get Mazuri Tortoise Diet till I know for sure they are coming (From Chris )this spring. Lights and temp/hum sensors are here too.
So thank you all for the great information.....Keep sending if you think of other things I need to get or do/watch out for.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ

Thanks for any help.

I wholeheartedly agree with Yvonnes post! There is a care guide at the top of this subforum(Greeks) that is incredibly detailed.

The care guide contains a section specifically explaining how to raise hatchling Greeks, and was written by Chris Leone, the same person you are purchasing your hatchlings from.

I would also check out the care guide for Egyptian tortoises written by Chris, as he raises nabeulensis in essentially the same manner, good luck!

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like I got most covered already but I'm still reading and rereading to get things straight. I ended up buying a DIYCAGES pvc case which is 4x2x2 with glass front. That will help keep the moisture in. Got a mister and feeding and water dishes but need to make a hide for them yet. Also been transplanting dandelions and plantains from near by places to a tortoise patch for easier harvest. I've already had Forget-Me-Nots. Waiting to get Mazuri Tortoise Diet till I know for sure they are coming (From Chris )this spring. Lights and temp/hum sensors are here too.
So thank you all for the great information.....Keep sending if you think of other things I need to get or do/watch out for.
Sounds pretty good, but you won't need a mister in a closed chamber.