Baby Flea or Tick?!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok... i saw the little critter moving along. From the sheer speed of it, it doesnt crawl like a tick. It “almost” looks like a spider.

Definitely not a flea or gnat or fruit fly.

fritz269

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Towards the border you can see the insect moving. If it was a flea I think it would be jumping. Can you link reptile safe mite spray?
Yes, those are similar to what I was getting. It might also be an aphid. You can try mite guard by Nature zone and treat the substrate. It might take a couple of times of thorough cleaning to get all of them but if you treat everything (hide logs, decor and substrate) they should be gone in no less than a week. Also, make sure they are not on the tortoise. The one I got was safe to spray on them and both of my tortoises (Russian, Leopard) have a clean enclosure.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes, those are similar to what I was getting. It might also be an aphid. You can try mite guard by Nature zone and treat the substrate. It might take a couple of times of thorough cleaning to get all of them but if you treat everything (hide logs, decor and substrate) they should be gone in no less than a week. Also, make sure they are not on the tortoise. The one I got was safe to spray on them and both of my tortoises (Russian, Leopard) have a clean enclosure.

• IMHO, i don’t think they are aphids at any stage in their lifecycle. Aphids are known to be small sap-sucking insects that attack and feed on young, tender plant shoots. Thats not really what we have in a tortoise enclosure.

P

pguinpro

Ok... i saw the little critter moving along. From the sheer speed of it, it doesnt crawl like a tick. It “almost” looks like a spider.

Definitely not a flea or gnat or fruit fly.
This mystery is going to be the death of me. Since I've had my tort I've changed containers and substrate twice. I've emailed to an entomologist but no response.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
This mystery is going to be the death of me. Since I've had my tort I've changed containers and substrate twice. I've emailed to an entomologist but no response.

.... How many are in there at any one time? You might just want to eliminate the ones you see...not 100’s, i hope!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
usually what we get in substrate is springtails. The video is too small to see for sure, but it reminds me of springtails.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
100% tics
I pulled one out my colleagues leg with tweezers, thing was I squashed it’s body and I think it injected him with it’s insides. He ended up with a bad infection [emoji85]

I agree that the still pix resembles a tick, but the video refects an insect scurrying along, more like a spider or springtail, but unlike a tick.

Not sure what host a tick would be feeding on in and among the substrate....

Mystery continues........

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
There are many different variations of them as it says there are 500 species, the last picture certainly looks the colour too. I think they are considered a pest and the internet does tell you how to best get rid.

P

pguinpro

Personally I’ve never seen one I was just researching because I wanted to find an answer for you. From the pictures I’ve seen online they are very small, similar to a tick.
Yeah when I was researching I didnt find anything like that you might be on to something. What did you search for?

P

pguinpro

Maybe like 20ish running around, I took the majority of the infested soil and put it in the over at 450 degrees till the internal temperature was 200.
.... How many are in there at any one time? You might just want to eliminate the ones you see...not 100’s, i hope!

Shortytorty

Ohio
It looks like it might be a tick or a bedbug, but definitely clean the whole enclosure and get new bedding.
Idk what the bud is.. but I do know if you mix diatomaceous earth in with your substrate it will kill all bugs. It is organic and completely safe for animals I use it in my chickens dirt to keep them from getting fleas, ticks, or lice, but it works on all bugs. It's cheaper than having to constantly replace the substrate which can be pricey.
Good luck.

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
There is a New Invasive Tick that has shown up in the U.S. It is referred to as a Long Horned, Asian, or Bush Tick. Very dangerous - and they are asexual so only need one to reproduce, and they are very prolific. Nothing I have read has said anything about Reptiles - but can kill (pass on diseases) to any mammals, including humans. Do a search on them - not something to mess around with.