Tick spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Anyone know of a spray that will kill ticks but won't harm the weeds and grass? Have a bad tick problem, kids are coming in with ticks, but worried if I spray grass the tortoises will be effected from eating the weeds. Obviously kids come first and I can feed tortoises greens until after the next few rain falls.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Do you have a lot of tall grass or are you next to a field/woods with lots of tall grass and bushes? Lots of deer in your area? I don't have any spray suggestions. Just was curious as to what your area is like. Three days ago, I worked in and around my garden area and found 11 ticks during that day and night on me, so I know how it goes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (not the kind for pool pumps) it WILL KILL ticks and most other hard shelled insects. It will NOT HARM your pets, children, or you. In fact, it is used to treat pets and farm animals for the prevention of INTESTINAL track "critters."

You can get it at feed stores and also online...it can be dusted right on the turf and bushes...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I haven'y tried that for the tick problem (actually I think in my case there is way too much land to use it on and too much rain happening), but have been trying it for fleas. I am not that impressed with it so far. Of course, I also don't know how much worse it would be without it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I've heard a lot of great things about diatomaceous earth. Most holistic vets recommend it for treatment of all kinds of parasites in dogs and cats.

I've never heard whether or not it was safe for tortoises specifically, though, but I can't imagine that it would be bad.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
This is the BEST stuff I have ever used I could do a commercial for this product. ULTRATHON insect repellent clothing & gear one treatment lasts up to 6 weeks. You spray it on your cloths and shoes let it dry and its amazing we were outside and not one tick for a whole week. You don't spray it on the grass so your tortoises are fine. I highly recommend this product. We bought it at gander mountain.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pam said:
This is the BEST stuff I have ever used I could do a commercial for this product. ULTRATHON insect repellent clothing & gear one treatment lasts up to 6 weeks. You spray it on your cloths and shoes let it dry and its amazing we were outside and not one tick for a whole week. You don't spray it on the grass so your tortoises are fine. I highly recommend this product. We bought it at gander mountain.

I need to find some of this to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.