Baby behavior or brumation

kbroadway2

So Pickle is very sleepy all the time. I know hatchlings sleep. When I dig him up to soak him, he opens his eyes and moves around. But the fact that he buries himself so deep makes me think he might be trying to go into brumation. I keep half the enclosure at about 85 degrees and the other half is at 75. I keep a UVB light on for 11 to 12 hours per day and take him outside when it's warm enough. How can you tell if he's just sleepy because he's a baby or if he's going into brumation? He's 10 days old.

Torch

5 Year Member
My babies have done that pretty much since day one, no matter how warm. I know hatchlings hide a ton in the wild so that's what I attribute it to.

I dig mine up every day for a soak and I've noticed that putting food out immediately after keeps them out and basking for a little while, but usually not more than an hour. I put more leaf litter in my enclosure, and they've slowly started to bury themselves more shallowly.

kbroadway2

I've got coconut fiber and sphagnum moss. Under the moss he doesn't dig as deep but in the areas with no moss he digs almost to the bottom of the enclosure. I'm leaving food out overnight now to make sure he has the time and privacy to eat. Since he's not eating worms I can't really tell if he's eating unless its immediately after i soak him and see food on his face. I really don't want him to brumate this winter because he's so little and new. I really don't care to hibernate him at all until I move him outside in a year or so.