Ashy Shell

Amaripop

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello tortoise family😄 i have a question regarding to my adult female russian tortoise. Her shell is ashy and im not sure why. When i give her a bath the ash goes away but when i dry her it looks like that. Is there some type of safe oils i can use? Or is it something else?
IMG_1138.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello tortoise family😄 i have a question regarding to my adult female russian tortoise. Her shell is ashy and im not sure why. When i give her a bath the ash goes away but when i dry her it looks like that. Is there some type of safe oils i can use? Or is it something else?
View attachment 363192
It looks like you are getting mineral deposits on the shell from the water you are using. As the water evaporates, the minerals are left on the tortoise's shell. This is not uncommon. To remove the deposits, you can use white vinegar on a rag or cotton swab or brushed into the shell with a toothbrush (which is probably the most efficient method). The vinegar works best if it is warmed up before using it to dissolve the deposits.

You can also use lemon juice which will dissolve the deposits as well.

Amaripop

South Carolina
It looks like you are getting mineral deposits on the shell from the water you are using. As the water evaporates, the minerals are left on the tortoise's shell. This is not uncommon. To remove the deposits, you can use white vinegar on a rag or cotton swab or brushed into the shell with a toothbrush (which is probably the most efficient method). The vinegar works best if it is warmed up before using it to dissolve the deposits.

You can also use lemon juice which will dissolve the deposits as well.
Thank you so much!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with both Zovick and Jamie.

I prevent the hard water stains by rinsing with plain water that has no minerals in it. You can buy distilled, but I just collect rainwater and put it in a sprayer. Reverse osmosis will work for this too. Do not use this demineralized water for drinking or soaking. Only use it to rinse them off after soaking.

Amaripop

South Carolina
I agree with both Zovick and Jamie.

I prevent the hard water stains by rinsing with plain water that has no minerals in it. You can buy distilled, but I just collect rainwater and put it in a sprayer. Reverse osmosis will work for this too. Do not use this demineralized water for drinking or soaking. Only use it to rinse them off after soaking.
I thank you so much!! I have well water so i can why her shell is the way it is. Ill be sure to use these tactics on my tort!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thank you so much!! I have well water so i can why her shell is the way it is. Ill be sure to use these tactics on my tort!!
Me too! My well water is safe to drink, but its certainly high in mineral content too.