ASAP advice please

S2G

Location (City and/or State)
AL
So I go to my fish store today to get some food & on my way out I see some people trying to release what I thought was a turtle. Well after a closer look it's a female hermann's tortoise I believe. Petco wasnt very knowledgeable, but they gave me a box with some dirt.

What size basking bulb do I need to grab & i think they need uv? Sorry I usually have a chance to have everything ready.

I keep all kinds of saltwater fish & fresh. I've also kept dart frogs so I'm not a total newbie, but this is my first reptile. I have a big tub I can use until tomorrow then I can build a box for her. Just need help until I can research more tonight & tomorrow. Thanks

20210222_150624.jpg20210222_182018.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is a fantastic looking tortoise. What a lucky find!

Here is all the current and correct care info. Most of the info you find on tortoise care is all wrong.

Welcome to the forum and please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Welcome to the forum! What a lucky day! Releasing captive animals into the wild is almost never a good idea, so you most likely did the right thing.

Tom's guide has everything you need to set up a tortoise paradise, but if you have any questions/concerns feel free to post.

Good luck on your tortoise adventure!

S2G

AL
You say they were trying to release her? Where did she come from? She could be someone's pet.

It might be a good idea to put up some flyers, or at least watch for a "lost tortoise" posting somewhere.

The story I got was it was a relative that couldn't care for it anymore. They kept calling it a turtle. I guess they thought it was a box turtle like you see down here. I told them I would take care of it or find a good home. I'll keep an eye out on the area pages though. I have no clue the age.

How did you get the tort out of everybody else looking?
Were they selling this guy or did they find it?

They said it was a family member whom couldn't take care of it anymore. I actually joined yesterday, because I was researching for a redfoot.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
The story I got was it was a relative that couldn't care for it anymore. They kept calling it a turtle. I guess they thought it was a box turtle like you see down here. I told them I would take care of it or find a good home. I'll keep an eye out on the area pages though. I have no clue the age.

They said it was a family member whom couldn't take care of it anymore. I actually joined yesterday, because I was researching for a redfoot.

Its a juvenile (*maybe 3-5 yrs) based on its size, it looks really good, the shell is perfect and its beak, skin, and eyes all look great. We see a lot of torts in bad shape here so its rare and surprising to see circumstances like yours with such a healthy tort, you really are lucky.

It is probably still too young to know the sex still.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
*Maybe because torts grow at very different rates and it is difficult to say an age. THis tort looks healthy so I think there is a good chance it is in that range, no guarantee though.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Absolutely most people call 4 legs and a shell a turtle. My Bob was over 100 pounds and people called him a turtle, they just don't realize they are 2 different things.

S2G

AL
Its a juvenile (*maybe 3-5 yrs) based on its size, it looks really good, the shell is perfect and its beak, skin, and eyes all look great. We see a lot of torts in bad shape here so its rare and surprising to see circumstances like yours with such a healthy tort, you really are lucky.

It is probably still too young to know the sex still.

Oh ok. It has a really short tail & flat plastron so I thought female. Shes been basking & eating really good. Very outgoing.

S2G

AL
That is a fantastic looking tortoise. What a lucky find!

Here is all the current and correct care info. Most of the info you find on tortoise care is all wrong.

Welcome to the forum and please feel free to ask lots of questions.

Very helpful thanks. I have a 5x4 wooden crate I'm fixing up today when I get home. Where do you buy your UV bulbs from if you dont mind? The only pet stores for reptiles are chain stores which are outrageous. I'm grabbing some 65w flood lights today.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
FEMALES have fat chubby tails. Males are more thin. You can usually tell the sex by looking at the tail.
At least for me, I can tell even with a youngling.
Some are not good at judgement maybe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very helpful thanks. I have a 5x4 wooden crate I'm fixing up today when I get home. Where do you buy your UV bulbs from if you dont mind? The only pet stores for reptiles are chain stores which are outrageous. I'm grabbing some 65w flood lights today.
I get the Arcadia 12% HO tubes in a reflector hood from Lightyourreptiles.com. They are very strong so its best to use a meter to gt the mounting height correct, but usually somewhere around 18-20 inches will do it. I only run the UV bulbs for 1-3 hours mid day. That's all they need. I run the basking bulbs and ambient light for 12-13 hours, and any ambient heat is on a thermostat.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is it a Western Hermanns? I am just asking