Do Hermann's burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
Do hermann's torts burrow?

I ask this since I'm making my outdoor enclosure and I need to know if I need to bury chicken wire.

I did the with my box turtles when I was a kid, but I thought hermann's didn't really burrow like boxies or Russians.

Thanks for any input.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Some will, to some extent, but not as much as a Steppes (Russian) will...primarily if they need somewhere to hide and there's no bush, tall grass, or hidey-spot available...my 4 aren't interested in digging much (too much effort), as I supply them with an assortment of places to get out of sight.

OTOH, I bury 1/2' hardware cloth beneath my tortoise enclosures, but more to keep other things from digging in.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hermann's aren't a true burrowing species like Russians are. Some of my Russians dig burrows over 30" long! I have never seen a Hermann's do more than bury themselves straight down in the dirt. I've never had an adult bury themselves except during brumation. That doesn't really qualify them as burrowers. Many other species, especially as babies, do the same.They do however make use of tunnels. Each of my outdoor enclosures have corrugated pipe tunnels in them buried horizontally in the ground. All of my Hermann's, regardless of subspecies, as well as most of the other species that I keep, take advantage of the tunnels at night, in the heat of the day and during heavy rains. Most of the tunnels are about 18-24" long with only the opening exposed to the outside.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
Hermann's aren't a true burrowing species like Russians are. Some of my Russians dig burrows over 30" long! I have never seen a Hermann's do more than bury themselves straight down in the dirt. I've never had an adult bury themselves except during brumation. That doesn't really qualify them as burrowers. Many other species, especially as babies, do the same.They do however make use of tunnels. Each of my outdoor enclosures have corrugated pipe tunnels in them buried horizontally in the ground. All of my Hermann's, regardless of subspecies, as well as most of the other species that I keep, take advantage of the tunnels at night, in the heat of the day and during heavy rains. Most of the tunnels are about 18-24" long with only the opening exposed to the outside.

When I expanded my tort's enclosure, I added 3 tunnels, made from some '30s terra cotta pipe a friend salvaged for me, from a rebuild his company is doing...hopefully, they all get to go out this weekend, to explore their new home. :cool:

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
+1 to the above

When out and about my Hermann will dig down into loose soil in the garden, but you can always see most of his shell. For the extra effort it may take you might aswell dig the chickenwiren down, just for peace of mind.

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Here is as deep as mine will go

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365716465.308356.jpg

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

Last edited by a moderator:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Terry Allan Hall said:
GBtortoises said:

When I expanded my tort's enclosure, I added 3 tunnels, made from some '30s terra cotta pipe a friend salvaged for me, from a rebuild his company is doing...hopefully, they all get to go out this weekend, to explore their new home. :cool:

The interesting bonus I found when I started installing the tunnels was how much the tortoises used them on dry, hot days to prevent dehydration. It can be in hot and dry outside the on the ground but the tortoises near the entrance within the tunnel are cool to the touch and the those at the far back end often have moisture on their shells!

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
When I had my two eastern hermann's they would burrow but unfortunately for them there was a rock wall surrounding them that went underneath the ground so they could not escape but as long as you make the chicken wire go underneath the ground four or five inches you should be good.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
My enclosure walls are in the ground only about 3". I have never had a single tortoise, of any species atttempt to dig their way out. The only ones that potentially would are the Russian tortoises.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
GBtortoises said:

The interesting bonus I found when I started installing the tunnels was how much the tortoises used them on dry, hot days to prevent dehydration. It can be in hot and dry outside the on the ground but the tortoises near the entrance within the tunnel are cool to the touch and the those at the far back end often have moisture on their shells!

Excellent!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Elsa sometimes buries herself completely in her substrate: I have to poke a finger in to find her! But most of the time she only buries herself 1/2 to 3/4, so that at least some of her shell is showing. When she partially buries herself, it's almost always under her Boston fern. I've never know her to dig an actual tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.