Are red foots happier eaters when hand fed? Do they know your hand?

willee638

Location (City and/or State)
HK
Hi, my little red foot seems to like being hand fed & recently paid more attention to my hand. He/she even pressed his/her head against it & seems to knows either by smell or recognizing it, my RF is still 5-6 months old & doesn't usually come out to his/her food whenever placed at the usual feeding spot & I had to pick him/her up & put right in front of the food. Does this means my tort prefers to have me hand feed it?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Have you ever been served at a fancy restaurant- I would love to be hand fed so would expect no less from my tortoise. They have trained you well! I put food out at 0700 hours EST and it may not get touched till around 1100 just depends on how hungry my Leopard is. My Russian will stay in their burrow all day and not come out till 1500 or 1600 hours. They are very good at regulating themselves on food intake-I wish I was better!

willee638

HK
My little RF seems to like running towards me in open spaces, is it because they're looking for something large to hide? Does it explain why younger torts will follow more bigger matured ones around for security or they know older one can lead them to food?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Both my Russians love to be hand fed. They’ll eat more and eat everything I give them if it’s out of my hand but if I do it for a few days in a row they stop going to their food dish for several days after I stop hand feeding. They get spoiled quick!

willee638

HK
Both my Russians love to be hand fed. They’ll eat more and eat everything I give them if it’s out of my hand but if I do it for a few days in a row they stop going to their food dish for several days after I stop hand feeding. They get spoiled quick!
If that's the case what we first thought as showing them affection might be a bad habit, I often see adult torts being hand fed & it looks cool but maybe shouldn't be for babies & yearlings.