Just Amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
:DHello Everyone!

I just found this totally amazing and I was so excited I wanted to share and ask if other experience this.

I found it amazing my RF Tater comes when I call her and I've only has her since march. I heard that reptiles don't have the brain power and there isn't much that they do besides eat, this I found out is completely untrue. When I bring Tater food to her for the day I scratch a tiny bit on her plastic hide and make little noises to get her to come out(kinda the noise when you call your cat and dog). She comes plowing through her moss. Now your obviously thinking well hello food "the Motivator"! This is true,but I tried it a different way...when I first fed her and when she's really getting into the food, I made the noise as I said above and I called her and she plowed through her food bowl to get to me and she waited for a chin/neck rub. Now I truly believe that was not food motivated.

I know people are gonna disagree, but in my opinion I really believe they have some emotions. I'm not saying they are capable of the love ( I call it) that a cat, dog, or even parrot can show. I know I humanize my pets and some people like that and some don't. And I don't mean that I don't provide them a natural type home TO FIT MY NEEDS because I DO AND I try very hard to set things up and feed them the best so they have a great, healthy, happy, stress free life.

I really lucked out with this sweet baby...my sister in law ordered her for us through her reptile distributor(thinking oh my!! not good) so we were not sure what we would get. So afraid she may be so fearful, starving, sickly...but when I got her she had this amazing personality from day one. She was never afraid of us and she never cringed or flinched. So I wonder was she just born with this great personality or did someone actually give her the love and attention before she got to me...that i may never know because I can't get the info where she came from and who raised her.

So as you can tell now I have the biggest soft spot for RED FOOTS, and she is my Tortoise first love. I have two other great Torts a Leopard "Sammie" and a Yellow Foot "Mango". These 2 are very healthy and they are trying to trust us slowly. In my opinion I feel Tater is one in a million.

Basically I wanted to ask other Red Foot owners since Tater is my first and only Red Foot do Red Foots normally have such an outstanding personality and very trusting? I just wanna know everyone's experience with their babies!

Thanks for listening and thanks for the comments in advance!

Attachments

• Tater Easter 2010 002.JPG
    Tater Easter 2010 002.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 52

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am a big believer in giving animals the benefit of the doubt when it comes to souls and emotion. ;)

Today I was working in the yard while Taco played by the fence and every time I walked by she stopped what she was doing and looked at me as if to say, "I see you and I know I have nothing to fear from you. Look at me! Aren't I impressive?" :D

It's taking her awhile, but she certainly is NOT motivated by food, so it must be love, or at least trust. :rolleyes:

Tater should join the Stagger Lee Fan Club and get herself on his prospective mates list...it sounds like they'd make some strong-willed, highly entertaining offspring! http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-13971.html

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
My guys never do that! I wish they would. You are truly very lucky! Tater is definitly one in a million!

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Stephanie...I think you may have said it right "trust"!!

Thanks jrcrist4! I really went through some heartbreak to get her. I hate dwelling on this cuz I get sooo mad...I ordered a Hermann's Tortoise from a really really bad company(I didn't know this at the time). Well the hermann's came deceased looked like the little guy had sepsis (blood under plastron) so after trying to get these morons to correct this problem they would only offer a replacement...because of this poor Hermann's I couldn't bare to get another replacement so I agreed to get a baby Redfoot instead since I thought they were so beautiful. Well the baby came and ate for a few days so I felt great then by the 8th day the baby RF died! Talk about being heart broken, furious, and to top it off those idiots wouldn't deal with me cuz it was past the 7th warranty day of the 2nd tortoise! The 8th day! I know they wanted to blame me and be difficult rather than them admitting they are doing something so horribly wrong...these poor babies! So my sister in law as I said above got us Tater and thankfully after all the heart break I got a healthy little Red Foot Girl! I'm so sorry for blabbering on...if anyone wants to know the company P.M. me...I don't wanna list it here and start a **** storm.

Not that I was owed Tater...I just got lucky...I thank my lucky stars! Jrcrist4 post a pic of Logan I would love to see your baby and your other babies!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I do not want to burst anyone's bubble, but she is responding to the scratching noise, thinking hey there is more food coming, try calling her by name only and see what happens. Not trying to be a meany.

Crazybirds

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I didn't take it meanly! :) (I'm real easy going!) But yeah just for the heck of it I will try what you suggested...it's all fun anyways and I find it interesting testing their behaviors (if I said that right).

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Our 2 redfoots come when called. I'm pretty sure they hear my voice and say hoot the lunch
wagon is here.
I speak to my guys constantly, heaven help me if they ever spoke back lol.
The youngest RF, we purchased as a hatchling if very friendly never pulling into her shell
or hissing, while the older RF purchased when she was 2 or 3 is a little slower to come and
does still have some trust issues. She is coming along quickly though and becoming alot
more trusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.