Are my babies sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane42096

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Ok, so i my babies are very lethargic. When I soak them every day, theirs eye lids are like milky white? I have posted pictures below. Any ideas on what is wrong with them, or are they ok? Thanks!

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps, humidity, and lighting being used? If you are using any type of coil light, get rid of it ASAP, they cause eye problems.
Also, please read Toms thread below in my post. The first and second posts.

shane42096

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What are your temps, humidity, and lighting being used? If you are using any type of coil light, get rid of it ASAP, they cause eye problems.
Also, please read Toms thread below in my post. The first and second posts.

I do not use a coil bulb. My humidity is fairly low. I try everything to keep it up. I even switched to a glass aquarium.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Do you have a lid on the enclosure? Have you read the threads? What type of substrate are they on?

Life is good

shane42096

5 Year Member
Chainsawkitten said:
Do you have a lid on the enclosure? Have you read the threads? What type of substrate are they on?

Life is good

They are on eco earth. Screen lid, and I cover it with a towel so the humidity and heat stays in.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Please take a look at the thread, it help my babies a lot!

Life is good

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The UVB does not go through screen very well. You need the humidity up to 80% temps no lower then 80, soak every day, water available 24/7. Cut holes in the screen so the UVB can get through better. Also read all threads recommended.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sunken scutes suggest that your baby is dehydrated and needs the humidity levels to get to 80%! You also have to...just have to check the temps in the enclosure. Do you have a temp gun? You should have 4 different temps throughout the enclosure. The hot/basking spot should be about 100-105. The cool spot should be 80 degrees...no lower. The humid hide should be about 90-95 degrees, and whole enclosure should be no lower than 80 degrees. Without a temp gun, you'll just be guessing. You can use either a fogger to increase humidity levels, or spray the enclosure often. For now, because of how dry they look, I would soak them in warm water with some pedialite and carrot baby food everyday, maybe even twice a day until they start to show activity. Your torts can get very sick if you don't carry out the suggestions in Tom's thread which is most of the things I've listed here for you. Keep us posted and don't delay.

As an added note, make sure the uvb lighting is not too close to the carapace (shell) of the torts. It should be about 10-12 inches from the top of the shell to the bulb. And, if you are using a UVb bulb, you don't need a basking light too especially if the uvb bulb is 100w or higher.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367416164.113278.jpg
That's exactly how mine looked when I bought it was a respiratory infection. Have you seen any bubbles from the nose? Try boosting ur temps and humidity but never let it fall below 80*, daily soaks with carrot baby food

Last edited by a moderator:

shane42096

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
That's exactly how mine looked when I bought it was a respiratory infection. Have you seen any bubbles from the nose? Try boosting ur temps and humidity but never let it fall below 80*, daily soaks with carrot baby food

Yes, that is how they look. I will try the suggested procedures... When should I expect to see improvements??

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
If you do warm soaks bump up tmps and humidity... probably within a few days. please post pics of your enclosure and make sure to check out Toms threads (already suggested) and this one here (by me:p)http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66977.html

This is the most accurate way I know to measure air temp. Temp guns do not measure air temp, they only measure surfaces!

lkwagner

5 Year Member
It took mine a couple months to turn around and actually start growing

Status
Not open for further replies.