Are hides neccesary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
My russian completely ignores his hides, instead he just burrows in the same spot every day. Would it be okay to remove it?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
It's best to always have a place available that allows a tortoise to hide and get away from any possible stress.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. If he doesn't use it, move it to where he likes to go, or maybe it's too small. Make it big enough he can turn around in it.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
As stated by Hunter, tortoises do need availability for hides. What kind of hides? Have you considered plants.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
my greeks do not have a hide in the indoor enclosure because they wouldn't use it they prefer mounds of orchard grass to bury in but in the outside enclosure they have a big hide and they use it - go figure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think they are. Many times they choose not to go inside and then one day, they just decide they like it now and you can hardly get them out. Also just having it in there helps break up the line of sight. They don't usually like to be exposed on open flat ground, so sight barriers can make them feel comfortable.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
Would it help if I made it more burrow like? Maybe cover it in substrate?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
A hide doesn't just have to be a box with a doorway. You can get creative with it.

My Leopard's indoor enclosure has a lot of fake plants all around the perimeter but with the leaves bent in to make a canopy. He loves to hide in the foliage.
The Leopard's outdoor hides are flower pots cut in half and then buried with dirt. He can walk over them or hide in them.

My Russian's outdoor pen has the traditional "box" type of hide. It's 3' x 1 1/2'. So its big and has dividers in it to make separate hiding areas in the hide.
They also have some dug in spots under logs with ice plant growing over it. They love to hide under this during the heat of the day.

You could try the cinderblock/cap type hides that Kameya (member here) uses.

You have a lot more options than the sub standard "half log hide" IMO. Since your russian burrows in a particular spot, I'd suggest making a hide around that area.

tupacliveson16

5 Year Member
The Colony Texas!
Team Gomberg said:
A hide doesn't just have to be a box with a doorway. You can get creative with it.

My Leopard's indoor enclosure has a lot of fake plants all around the perimeter but with the leaves bent in to make a canopy. He loves to hide in the foliage.
The Leopard's outdoor hides are flower pots cut in half and then buried with dirt. He can walk over them or hide in them.

My Russian's outdoor pen has the traditional "box" type of hide. It's 3' x 1 1/2'. So its big and has dividers in it to make separate hiding areas in the hide.
They also have some dug in spots under logs with ice plant growing over it. They love to hide under this during the heat of the day.

You could try the cinderblock/cap type hides that Kameya (member here) uses.

You have a lot more options than the sub standard "half log hide" IMO. Since your russian burrows in a particular spot, I'd suggest making a hide around that area.

I would love to see a picture of this Canopy

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Often, we make hides to our specifications, not the tortoises. Tortoises in the wild often wedge themselves into places like burrows, spaced between roots, etc. They seem to like the sensation that they are hard to extract, that they are nice and secure. I offered my torts a wide variety of hides in a big outdoor enclosure, and the most popular by far was a pile of branches, leaves, etc. they dug into, and that I had placed a tarp over part of (to make it rain-proof and hold the stuff together).

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Ok I'll work on getting some pics and upload them here..

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

**Not the BEST pics**

This is the enclosure as a whole.
50juyh.jpg

An overview picture when I open the top. Alot of plants are planted along the back glass but the foliage is curved inward
5z4pi0.jpg

The cool end has a powder coated bathroom shelf with plants laced through the top. I also hold my digital hydrometer on top. My still leopard has access all the way under it and around the legs. He is growing fast though and very soon this will need to be modified ;)
His terra cotta water saucer is under this.
991gs0.jpg

The basking rock has some plants on either side of it. Also dug into the edges with the leaves bent inwards.
j7yoah.jpg

The front corner by the basking area. Picture taken from the inside. It's his favorite sleeping spot.
2q2i7tk.jpg

Again, not really the best pictures. :/ The tank's glass is full of spots from the humidity and the pics of this tank NEVER look as good as it does in person.

BUT I hope it gives you an idea...

If you go with a flower pot buried under dirt it can work well too.
5b8mq9.jpg

2a645u9.jpg

Let us know what you come up with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.