Hides from MVB light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
So we just installed a 100w MVB light in Henry's 3x3 enclosure, but he just hides under his log when it's on. I tried turning it off, and just leaving on his regular heat lamp, and sure enough he's out basking today. Any ideas? I know he needs his UB, but it does no good when he hides all day

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The MVP seems to be too much for Russians. Go with the flourescent type for Russians.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I've heard that this happens sometimes with Russians and MVB. Have you measured the temperature immediately under the light, in the hot spot? It may need to be moved up a bit to adjust the temperature down.

Personally, I prefer to use an 18-inch tube light (10.0 UVB by Exo Terra). My tortoises don't hide from it, in fact they seek it out. I order them on eBay for about half the price they are sold in pet stores.

Jenncure said:
So we just installed a 100w MVB light in Henry's 3x3 enclosure, but he just hides under his log when it's on. I tried turning it off, and just leaving on his regular heat lamp, and sure enough he's out basking today. Any ideas? I know he needs his UB, but it does no good when he hides all day

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
I got a laser heat scanner for about 20 on Amazon and figured out mine was 110 in the basking spot. Have since moved it up to where its 90 to 95 and my Russians love it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also keep in mind that when you begin use of a new bulb--there is a burn in time that should be kept in mind--this is a time that the bulb can be running way high on uv rays vs what it will settle at once the first week or so passes.....allow for a burn in time.

Remember that torts are in need of uva/uvb and heat..but if the uv rays are spiking during the burn in time that may be hurting their sensitive eyes.... :D

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice everyone! It's only 90-95 degrees in the hot spot, so I don't think that's the problem. I guess I will wait a week or two in case the UV levels are spiking now, and see if Henry stops hiding. If not, I guess I will buy him the tube light- this is getting expensive! :).

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I always set mine up away from the enclosure and leave it on for 24 hours prior to using for the tortoises ('burn in'). That seems to take care of the harsh out put can can occur at first. (I have an extra inexpensive brooder light with ceramic base from the feed store).

If you can do that and just use a regular bulb in the meantime, you might see a different scenario. And make sure the Powersun is no closer to the tort shell than 12"

tickle

5 Year Member
Turn off the other heat lamp or bulb when the mvb is on.100 watts needs to be12 inches high 120 watts 14 inches high go a inch per ten watts.my star did the same and when I turned off the heat bulb he went right under the mvb.I got a light timer for just the porcalin heat bulb I have it going all night and it goes off 2 hours before mvb lights come on this makes a cool morning .my star then comes out to warm up.I have the heat bulb come back on 4 hours later to mimmic the heat of the midday sun .then i have the heater go off for the 2 hours before the mvb bulb goes off for the night to mimmic the cool evenings.after lights out heater back on for the night.u can get the light timers anywhere.this will help create a natural atmosphere to bennifit proper heath for a captive tort in a indoor enclosure.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
UV light is 18 inches high. When I turn off his warming bulb and turn on his MVB, instead of walking over to MVB, he just goes under his hide. I've had the MVB for a few weeks now so any burn time should be over. Not sure what else to do :-/

tickle

5 Year Member
He will go under when he is ready.u cant make a tortoise do anything it doesn't want to

Jenncure

5 Year Member
Update - I think Henry is coming around to the new light finally. It took him a few weeks, but the last few days he has been MUCH more active. Usually he sleeps late, but I woke up at 7 this morning to find him not under, but on top of his log. :rolleyes:

He still doesn't bask under the MVB, but he doesn't hide from it either. And I'm just glad he's getting his much-needed UV! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.