AQUARIUM TO POND

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am looking to adopt or purchase two RES for my pond. The majority that are rescues have been house in aquariums. I need to know if it is okay to put them in a pond, if they have been raised and kept in an aquarium?
Thanks for any and all input:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It takes a while for them to acclimate, and if there are other turtles already there to learn from, it doesn't take quite so long. My sister gave me her big RES, Scruffy, that she had for quite a while in a large tub outside. Scruffy was quite tame and knew Maggie. When I put her in the pond, I didn't see her for about 3 months...then it was winter and she had to hibernate in the pond. When everyone woke up and started begging for food, there was Scruffy, right along with them, even climbing out of the pond to chase me for food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are no other turtles. They will be the only ones. I was hoping to also let them hibernate outside. Just wasn't sure, seeing they would have never been outside. There are so many needing homes, but all so far from aquariums.would it be best to hold off until I find some that came from ponds or do you think they would know what to do?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
You may even try asking a wildlife rescue if they get any wild caught RES, to send them your way. Apparently, at least in Nebraska, there is a law that a wild caught turtle can't be released back into the wild further than 60 yards from its original catch site. So, if someone brings in a turtle and they don't say where, exactly, they caught it, they can't legally release it back into the wild. I don't know if they'd be able to give one to you but it's worth a shot, right?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
futureleopardtortoise said:
You may even try asking a wildlife rescue if they get any wild caught RES, to send them your way. Apparently, at least in Nebraska, there is a law that a wild caught turtle can't be released back into the wild further than 60 yards from its original catch site. So, if someone brings in a turtle and they don't say where, exactly, they caught it, they can't legally release it back into the wild. I don't know if they'd be able to give one to you but it's worth a shot, right?

Thanks, I will look into that.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You can e-mail Tom at TurtleTails.com. He always has some RES for adoption. He's very knowledgeable and will help you in any way he can. I love that site.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
terryo said:
You can e-mail Tom at TurtleTails.com. He always has some RES for adoption. He's very knowledgeable and will help you in any way he can. I love that site.

Great, I will look that up. Thanks

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just transitioned my RES to a pond 3 weeks ago. He hid for a few days and stayed close to the bottom. He did come up when I fed him. It took about a week or so for him to swim around while I was watching. This week I caught him basking. I have to tell you he loves being outside. I love watching him swim. Now in the moorings I go out and have my coffee and he comes up to me begging for food. I would say go for it.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
wellington said:
There are no other turtles. They will be the only ones. I was hoping to also let them hibernate outside. Just wasn't sure, seeing they would have never been outside. There are so many needing homes, but all so far from aquariums.would it be best to hold off until I find some that came from ponds or do you think they would know what to do?

Make sure your pond is of the depth that is considered fish safe for winter. Use that as a guide for pond depth. If it is a rubber bottom pond I would suggest putting at least 3 or 4 inches of sand and maybe some big rocks or drift wood to act as shelter and anchor points for the sleeping/dormant turtles. The sand will act as a place for digesting, nitrifying, and denitrifying bacteria to live which will help to maintain water quality. If you want to plant plants like water lilies or SAVs you will need more sand. Also you should probably build a fence around your pond. I would also make sure you are allowed to put RESs in your pond some states have restrictions on what species you can put in your pond. The fence should be as a minimum 2 feet tall with an over hang to the inside and a barrier at least 10 inches into the ground.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Saloli said:
wellington said:

Make sure your pond is of the depth that is considered fish safe for winter. Use that as a guide for pond depth. If it is a rubber bottom pond I would suggest putting at least 3 or 4 inches of sand and maybe some big rocks or drift wood to act as shelter and anchor points for the sleeping/dormant turtles. The sand will act as a place for digesting, nitrifying, and denitrifying bacteria to live which will help to maintain water quality. If you want to plant plants like water lilies or SAVs you will need more sand. Also you should probably build a fence around your pond. I would also make sure you are allowed to put RESs in your pond some states have restrictions on what species you can put in your pond. The fence should be as a minimum 2 feet tall with an over hang to the inside and a barrier at least 10
inches into the ground.

The deepest is 4 ft. I winter 2 koi and a old gold fish. There is water lillies. I have a barrier of flag stone around it that is about 2ft or a little more around it with a land/plant with also a sand area about 3ft Long by about a foot and a half wide that they can get out of the pond to. Also have a floating long for shade for fish, will be basking for turtles. Plus I heat the pond in winter. Not warm enough to keep them from hibernating but to keep the pond from freezing solid.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
That sounds like it would be okay. Just make sure that it is allowed legally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.