Anything I need to change for yearlings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana - United States
Our little sulcatas turned one year old at the beginning of the month. I have been wondering if there is anything my wife and I should begin gradually changing now (temperature,humidity,etc). They do get sunny outside time and it is very humid where we live (southeast Louisiana).

We have had them in a "mostly" closed-chamber setup with 75-80% humidity/day (was slightly higher when they were smaller) and 70-75% at night. They are about to be moving to a tortoise table we are building because their current enclosure is going to be too small for them in the next few months. From what I have read, maintaining humidity can be challenging when there is no lid. Now that they are 1 year, is the humidity as big of a deal as it was for their first year of life?

Their temperatures (Fahrenheit) have been ~100 basking/ 93-95 warm/ 85-90 hide/ 80-86 cool. Their hide is a long tunnel, so there is a warmer and cooler part of the hide where they can choose their perfect spots.

Anything else to consider besides temperature and humidity that I may not be thinking of?

Thank you

krh11b23

5 Year Member
How big are they getting? Can u post pics? Are they growing smooth? Depending on these questions you may need to change things. Just depends on size.

I also live in Louisiana and have a open tort table. I can't keep the humidity high because of where I live so I'm sure u can too

I meant I can keep the humidity high lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
According to Toms experience, they should be kept in the higher humidity until they are at least 8 inches. You can do this for their night time in the indoor enclosure and let him be outside for the daytime. You can also cut back on the daily soakings to every other day.

curiousgeorge58

5 Year Member
Louisiana - United States
krh11b23 said:
How big are they getting? Can u post pics? Are they growing smooth? Depending on these questions you may need to change things. Just depends on size.

I also live in Louisiana and have a open tort table. I can't keep the humidity high because of where I live so I'm sure u can too

I meant I can keep the humidity high lol

They are both right at 5" SCL. One has grown very smooth - the other not so much, yet they have been together since birth. Argus was born with a dented shell; he's the one that's not as smooth as I would like for him to be. He has recently surpassed Dumbledore in weight for the last 2 weeks for the first time since we have had them. They haven't gotten their weekly weigh-in yet (that happens tonight before dinner), but last week Argus was 446.5g and Dumbledore was 427.2g.

Argus - Argus Shell 1 year.JPG - you can see his 2 dented scutes still
Dumbledore - Dumbledore Shell 1 year.JPG
Enclosure - IMG_2258.JPG

It just so happens I sprayed them with their water before all these pictures. They aren't always that shiny :)

wellington said:
According to Toms experience, they should be kept in the higher humidity until they are at least 8 inches. You can do this for their night time in the indoor enclosure and let him be outside for the daytime. You can also cut back on the daily soakings to every other day.

Wellington - thank you for the reply. Soakings were something that I intended to ask about in the original post and forgot to. They have been soaked daily since we got them. I'll change it to every other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.