10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Raised from hatchling -

BIGV-1.jpg

'05 hatchling - almost 3 years old -

05BEAUTY.jpg

1007Sonshine.jpg

'06 hatchling [ left as hatchling and came back mid-'08.. growth was stunted but smooth.. here since ] -

a06CRFrc.jpg

And '05 hatchling @ 4 years old -

1Scotch109L.jpg

Based on the care sheet in signature below...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
NERD, those are AMAZING!!! You say "based on the care sheet in signature below"...I don't see anything "below." Either I'm misunderstanding (a common occurrence!) or it's not something I can do from my iPhone...:p

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Heres my big cherry about 8 years old and captive.... no wild caughts up in canada :) raised pretty much on terrys care sheet as well
3.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Moozilion said:
NERD, those are AMAZING!!! You say "based on the care sheet in signature below"...I don't see anything "below." Either I'm misunderstanding (a common occurrence!) or it's not something I can do from my iPhone...:p

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm[hr]
Hustler said:
Heres my big cherry about 8 years old and captive.... no wild caughts up in canada :) raised pretty much on terrys care sheet as well
3.jpg

Lookin' GOOD!!! Hus...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v41/clemmysman/CaresheetResults/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

click/open first pic on left and then "next" thru album... from hatchlings thru 2-3 year-olds started here and raised by someone else based on caresheet

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
those really are amazing! i was going to follow his caresheet as well, but i think im going to get a hermann's for my first tortoise based on there care compared to a red or yellow

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
hermanns are a great tort. I live in north texas its pretty dry but when they are outside like in the photo thats during the spring. During the winter they are indoor obviously, and when really warm kept in greenhouse enclosure. However I do believe its the very very early stages of the animal that will get it off to a good start. If kept hydrated and humid from pipping and kept for a good established amount of time by the breeder with these practices the animal should grow smoothly given the same scope of diet and husbandry. Yellowfoots are a more difficult species than a redfoot per many keepers. Hermanns are a great species to have. Good luck.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I think what Kelly is saying is exactly what has already been established that works.. get them started right and maintain the same practices from then on.

That's why the ones I hatched.. started and were maintained on the caresheet [ regardless by whomever ] look like they do now.

Austin there are only 4 parameters that need to be maintained - temps.. humidity.. lighting and diet. Every species has their own specific "balance" among the 4. As long as that balance is started and maintained you will have a healthy good looking tortoise.

Yellowfoots/redfoots [ what this thread is about ] need a water supply they can drink from and soak in as they will [ not force-soaked ] - I wonder.. is it different for any other tortoise?

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
yeah i think i can get diet and humidity fine, and lighting, but temps i worry about. if i get a red foot it would be inside far more than outside, and once it gets big, it would be hard for me to make a big tortoise table for it. how long does it take for it to get at least 10 inches?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
austinSOLO said:
yeah i think i can get diet and humidity fine, and lighting, but temps i worry about. if i get a red foot it would be inside far more than outside, and once it gets big, it would be hard for me to make a big tortoise table for it. how long does it take for it to get at least 10 inches?

8 - 10 years. And you will want a 3' x 6' at least then.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
hmmm, now that i think about it i could probably take care of it fine, but i just wish it was hotter where i live

Status
Not open for further replies.