anyones yellow foot look like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
can anyone keep a red or yellow foot with a shell this smooth? post pics of yours if you want!

yellow-foot-tortoise-for-sale.jpg

susie

5 Year Member
My Pedro looks like that but I've only had him about a year so I can't take any credit. We've gotten to the point where we think he was raised in a little cardboard box. When we started putting him outside this summer the only thing he would do would be to climb the back steps to get back in to hide in the back hall. :0

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
To be that smooth it most likely would be wildcaught if someone has one that smooth. But I wouldnt doubt anyone on this forum from raising something that smooth.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
ya it is a wild tortoise, that was the point of the thread. i just want to find someone with PERFECT care to have a shell this amazing. it almost makes me want a wild caught adult so i could brag about his shell :D

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
austinSOLO said:
ya it is a wild tortoise, that was the point of the thread. i just want to find someone with PERFECT care to have a shell this amazing. it almost makes me want a wild caught adult so i could brag about his shell :D

Nobody has the perfect system yet. Yellowfoots do adapt well to captivity though. Or at least mine did so I would say go for it if thats what you want.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My female is pretty smooth, she is the one on the right. I have had her for years but Im sure she is that smooth because she was a wild caught

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
yeah the one on the left is what most seem to look like which is fine, but your female is awesome! i would be proud if i were you! even if she is wild caught and had a smooth shell, for you to put her in your care means changing diet probably and she doesn't really have any pyramiding at all! i would rather by and adult red foot but they are too expensive

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I've read that part of the reason their shell is smooth is from natural abrasion from being in the wild, i.e. rubbing against trees, rocks, etc.

Still, even my tort's relatively smooth shell is nothing compared to this.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Look at Terryo"s!! Hers is about one of the smoothest I have seen raised.Check out her threads, there are many! There are a few others here that raise some really nice Rf's

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
haha it looks like she has her own jungle!

i wish anyone could keep it that smooth! but this one is wild, i wanted to see if anyone could keep a red or yellow a shell as smooth as this one

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Lots of greens, NO fruits, and very high humidity did it for these guys. They are 2 years old in this photo. I got them when they were 3". Not perfect but pretty smooth.

and photos now 1 year later. Well this photo is actually a few months old, but close enough.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
wow no fruit? never heard that before. but how do you keep humidity up? do you live in a humid place?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
jlittlefield said:
How did you keep shell so smooth? What a pretty tortoise!!!

I keep the yellow foots environmentally the same as the eastern box turtles, It works here and is pretty much natural here in the Middle Atlantic States (MD and VA) for 7 months of the year, the cold months they are inside. Food wise, nothing special, but I probably feed less protein than most people recommend.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
OK so I had to post my other female BIGRED, she is pretty smooth but has more growth lines

Status
Not open for further replies.