Anyone have a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have an avid reader in the family (soon to be mother in law) and she is hard to shop for for Christmas. Says she doesn't need anything! Well I thought of getting her a Kindle e reader but wasn't sure if anyone here has one, heard any feedback? I'm not sure if she would put down the paperback books for an e reader but if she did I'm sure she would like it. I like that you wouldn't have books stacked all over the place that you've already read and will never read again (probably). Anyways, any info or advice would be great! Thanks :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so glad you brought up this subject. I live in California and I have a 17 year old grand daughter who lives in Texas. She loves to read, so I ordered her a Kindle for Christmas. Trouble is, I don't know the authors she likes or the type of books she likes to read. I wanted to get her some books for the kindle, but I don't know how to go about it. I looked to see if the Harry Potter series was on Kindle (she and her friends are AVID Harry Potter fans), but I couldn't find it, so don't know if it is.

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
Told the wife thats what I want for Christmas. She asked if I wanted the bigger one, but I just want the smaller one without the 3G. Ed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The older people tend to not like the more digital devices, I am only 35 and I like paperbacks.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not have the kindle but I have the kobo (it is an ereader ) and I love it
and the books are cheaper :)

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
My wife has the sony reader and likes it.I never heard of the kindle until the other day,when my mother in-law was talking about wanting books for hers.I still haven't looked into where to get them.They probally have a gift card type thing where the person can just pick what they want.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought mine at amazon.com and just now went there to see if they had any Pier Anthony books on kindle. My son had just sent me an email telling me that she likes that author. So I started to order some for her, but come to find out, the kindle I bought is registered to me and they send kindle books to your email. So I had to de-register it and wait until Christmas for her to register it. Then I can send her some books via email from Amazon.com.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
E readers that use E-ink do not give you a headache. It is much the same as reading print on a regular page. I have one and think that it is very nice. I have found a few of my college text books available for it and it is so much easier to carry than 3 or 4 books. E ink is producing color versions now, but Amazon says they are a long way off for them. It would be nice to have a color Kindle but for me it is not a deal breaker.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
target has Kindles for $139.. people i know who have them LOVE them.. i like the book thing.. and being able to trade with my sister.. and of course getting bargains.. but hate having a book sitting there i wont read again so started going to the library..
people have said its easy to read and doenst hurt the eyes...
I have never held one, so I dont know if Id like them or not...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have one, and now I don't know how I ever lived without it. The books are way cheaper, it hold 3,500 books, and if you fill that up, you can store them on your Amazon account, and start over. You can get newspapers, magazines, everything you can imagine. The only problem, it that it is VERY dangerous for a person who loves to read. You never have to leave your chair. I was at the Dr. office waiting for my husband to get some tests done, and I finished my book. It took all of 20 seconds to order another book and start reading. You can preview a book, look up authors, and the best part.....way cheaper then a printed book, and they are yours forever, just like a book, without taking up space. Nice and slim, to just fit in your handbag, not like a big bulky book. I LOVE IT!!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I use a Kindle app on my Android phone (and I'm 52- nyah!) and I love it- I use a variety of reading programs and love the ability to read in those odd down moments. I have even been known in the older Palm days to put my Palm in a durable plastic bag with a small foam floater and take it into the pool for aquarobics so I could read while working out.

The selection is great, but kind of quirky. Harry Potter, older (better) sci-fi, etc. is not real common in any digital format, but there is still a lot out there.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
emysemys said:
I'm so glad you brought up this subject. I live in California and I have a 17 year old grand daughter who lives in Texas. She loves to read, so I ordered her a Kindle for Christmas. Trouble is, I don't know the authors she likes or the type of books she likes to read. I wanted to get her some books for the kindle, but I don't know how to go about it. I looked to see if the Harry Potter series was on Kindle (she and her friends are AVID Harry Potter fans), but I couldn't find it, so don't know if it is.

I think you can buy Kindle gift cards or even amazon gift cards to use for kindle books. I haven't looked into that much though.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You can get an Amazon gift card, that she can use for Kindle books. I just got one for my Sister for Christmas.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. I've considered this for my kids, but none are really big readers. I do think it would be great for college though if their textbooks were on in. Definitely something to consider.

nascarmw

5 Year Member
Bakersfield CA
I have one and I love it!! It's great for the long waits in doctor office's and road trips. [/b]

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
I broke down and bought a Sony reader a few months ago and even though I really do miss the feel and even the smell of a real book I gotta say being able to carry an entire series of books in my pocket is pretty awesome. Not to mention all the space I've saved.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have the B&N Nook with WiFi and I love it. I am able to download PDF files from my computer and take them with me in my Nook. Am saving my $$ for the color Nook, but look at an IPad in comparison.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Buy the new black & white Nook! It's going to be cheaper and so much easier to use then any other e-reader out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.