Any tips on getting RT use to handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dncekidd

5 Year Member
I got a RT on Saturday. Cooper is a very shy boy. Will on the forum suggested him to be about 12 maybe older. He stays in his shell a lot under the UV light and burrows in or under the hide on the warm side most of the day. I dont think he has been handled much and was wondering if I can do anything to get him better acclimated. Also wanted someone to check his setup and see if I should change anything. I included pics but under the basking light I have stone tiles it says it aroun 95-100 he has a tipped flower pot on that side he loves. Cooler side is about 70-75 he rarely is over there that i see. It has a fake branch. That he occasionally climbs on and a pot of grass that he is uninterested in. He has been finally eating spring mix daily I plan to switch it up though I have tried other things like weeds a catus but he always leaves it. Any advice is welcome. I know I need to get a probe thermometer to get a better gauge of temps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1380732169220.jpg
    1380732169220.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 1380732191547.jpg
    1380732191547.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 1380732205612.jpg
    1380732205612.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 38

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I would suggest an infrared temperature gun also. I'd never be without one! As far as handling, what do you mean by that? I have an extremely outgoing and friendly three toed box turtle that I interact with daily. He comes to me, he begs for food, I hand feed him, I talk to him. But the only time I actually pick him up is to do cage maintenance or to weigh/measure. So I don't "handle" him really....

The enclosure looks good! I don't have a Russian tortoise though, so let someone else comment on that. But it's pretty!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I'm no expert on RT's, but he looks pretty darn good to me. For his enclosure, I think you should consider a much bigger enclosure. He's seems to be pretty big and doesn't have much room to travel around in there.

For the handling question, the best way to acclimate him to people is to slowly give him more attention. Don't try to become his best friend immediately because it takes time. hold him, be around him in his field of vision, feed him treats by hand. He'll remember you and become more friendly over time.

dncekidd

5 Year Member
He seems to hide anytime, I come in the room. only coming out when I soak him which he seems to enjoy. I plan on betting a temp gun, but I have to go to the bigger pet store to get that or order it online. My step father plans on building a tortoise box for me so its only a temporary enclosure.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
Give him time. You just got him. Moving to a new environment is stressful. If he is eating well then you are fine. Give him some days to himself to get more comfortable

dncekidd

5 Year Member
Thanks, I have been trying get him use to me just being in the room by sititing in the room and reading next to his tank after putting his food in. he eventually comes out as long as I don't disturb him. I figure if he realizes I am not there to bother him he might warm up a little

Status
Not open for further replies.