Tortoise Chews on his hide! help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi everyone,

I am a new red foot tortoise mom, and I love this little guy so much! For his "hide" I gave him a flower pot turned on its side with the open end away from the light. He does enjoy going in it to dig around and sleep....but he also insists on constantly chewing on the back of the pot! He's much too tiny to actually bite off any of the plastic in his mouth, but he stands there chewing and scraping his beak on it for quite a while each day. If I pile his moss at the back to prevent him from doing this, he climbs the moss onto the top of the pot and falls off. I did have a log hide in his cage but he kept climbing that one and falling off onto his back. Any ideas how I can curb this chewing behavior? Will he grow out of it? I do have a cuttle bone in with him that he also chews on, so, he does have something to chew.

Thanks so much!
--Rachael

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Put another cuttle bone at the back of the pot. :)

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
Tom -- Good idea! I will definitely try that! I'll post again and let u know if it works.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let him chew and get it out of his system.

TonkaLuv

5 Year Member
Virginia
GBtortoises said:
What color is the pot?

It's kind of a light tan. He is chewing a little less now I think. He at least seems less fascinated with it. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.