Any thoughts on enclosure ventilation?

Buranman87

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I'm working on my hatchling sulcata's closed enclosure now(either 4x4 of 4x5 feet), and I'm wondering if I should put in ventilation holes. do tortoises need them? do they affect humidity? I was just thinking of making two small 4" by 4" holes and covering them with a screen. will my tortoise suffocate without them? If you couldn't tell, I'm brand new to tortoise keeping, and I'm probably totally wrong.

nicoleann2214

NY
So I'm working on my hatchling sulcata's closed enclosure now(either 4x4 of 4x5 feet), and I'm wondering if I should put in ventilation holes. do tortoises need them? do they affect humidity? I was just thinking of making two small 4" by 4" holes and covering them with a screen. will my tortoise suffocate without them? If you couldn't tell, I'm brand new to tortoise keeping, and I'm probably totally wrong.
My enclosure doesn’t have ventilation holes in Toms care guide I believe it says they get ventilation when you open and close their enclosure to give them food water etc.

nicoleann2214

NY

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would build in the ventilation holes, but then be prepared to cover them up if you are unable to maintain humidity. Most boxes get plenty of air flow around the doors and seams. If your enclosure is 100% airtight, which would be tough to do, then yes, you would need to add some ventilation.

nicoleann2214

NY
Thanks to all. Sorry for asking questions that have already been answered! I'll check before I post next time.
It’s okay questions are welcome :) its all about learning, I ask questions all the time I’m sure have already been answered lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks to all. Sorry for asking questions that have already been answered! I'll check before I post next time.
OMG! Every question has been asked a thousand times. That's why I type up those care sheets and other threads. To save myself hours and hours of typing. Many questions are answered in those, but its expected that there will always be more questions, or sometimes clarification or more info is needed.

We are all here to talk tortoises. Your questions fuel the conversation and are welcome.