Any ideas?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
I was going wondering if anyone had any ideas on DIY underwater caves/hideouts for my Map turtle. He is a skittish one & I was hoping to make him something to hide and play underneath. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use a large plastic flower pot as both the basking area and the cave. I cut out a doorway from the top of the pot, then invert it and fill the water up to where it is just below the bottom, which is now the top. Some plastic pots float, so in those cases I put a flat rock on the top (which is really the bottom of the pot).

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
That's a really good idea. Im going to look around my house for a plastic flower pot now. Thank you. :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
One of the members a while back had posted something about making your own custom concrete forms for turtles and tortoises.

You could make a wood box to hold the concrete and insert plastic bottles with water inside to create the hides and holes. Let it set and then remove the plastic from the concrete. You can round the shape by inserting corner blocks inside your box.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
those giant plastic tubes for water at home depot or lowes. there's pvc or the black ribbed kind and they come in large diameters