Any ideas

cpl1307

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire
Hi,
Since I got my russian, I have always used komodo or branded bark as his substrate and if im being honest the prices for it are getting ridiculous and also the bark pieces for some reason are getting bigger, So its taking a lot more to fill my viv up with and hes not liking it because he cant dig into it. I want to change it and wanted to see if anybody had any ideas. I cant use soil because it will rot the floor if the vivarium. Ive seen pellets, hemp bedding and ive just come across coconut chip substrate, which would be cost affective, or if anybody has any ideas of what I could use as a replacement, because its taking 3-4 bags of my current bark to fill at £12 a bag. If the bark chiping hadnt of gone so large I could use it. Any help would be great. I used to use hemp chippings, but was told to stop. Ive attached a couple of pictures of the new bedding ive found. Be brutally honest with me, because I dont want to go backwards after everything ive learnt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319_153944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_153944_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240319_153908_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240319_153908_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 1

_The_Beast_

Canada
Can you find coco coir instead of coconut chips? I don't think coconut chips are safe for torts (someone else with more knowledge will surely chime in) but coco coir is. I use coco coir for my russian. It holds moisture well (be sure to hand pack it in the viv) and mine loves to burrow in it way more than other substrates. You can also look for orchid bark (without perlite!). Both can generally be found cheaply at garden centres.

How often are you changing your substrate? You may be able to go longer without changing it if old food is being removed and spot cleaning is sufficient.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop replacing it so often. With daily spot cleaning the substrate should last a year or more.
Orchid bark, fir bark or coconut coir or chips all should be fine to use
Never soil , pellets or hemp.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Assume your UK Lancashire? Another option is orchid bark I get mine from swell reptile online
or prorep
ProRep Bark Chips,Coarse Grade, 10 Litre https://amzn.eu/d/bPA1Rfx

and change every 4 to 6 months and put it out on the garden beds when done. How old is your tort I use course for 3 years plus or mix fine and course.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Can you find coco coir instead of coconut chips? I don't think coconut chips are safe for torts (someone else with more knowledge will surely chime in) but coco coir is. I use coco coir for my russian. It holds moisture well (be sure to hand pack it in the viv) and mine loves to burrow in it way more than other substrates. You can also look for orchid bark (without perlite!). Both can generally be found cheaply at garden centres.

How often are you changing your substrate? You may be able to go longer without changing it if old food is being removed and spot cleaning is sufficient.
About every 3 months for a full change. When you say coconut coir, is the espanding type ok. The one you can add to water and it exands?

cpl1307

Lancashire
Stop replacing it so often. With daily spot cleaning the substrate should last a year or more.
The wood underneath the top layer is going wet and disintegrating. Especially under the waterbowl.

cpl1307

Lancashire
I can get 75l out of this? Would you use it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_055216_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_055216_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 1

cpl1307

Lancashire

I can get 75l out of this? Would you use it?

Attachments

260 KB · Views: 0

cpl1307

Lancashire
Or this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_055518_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_055518_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 1

cpl1307

Lancashire

Or this

Attachments

384.3 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The wood underneath the top layer is going wet and disintegrating. Especially under the waterbowl.
You have to line the bottom of the enclosure with something waterproof. Shower curtain, mulching film, good tarp and such.

With any kind of substrate you have to keep bottom layers damp.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
About every 3 months for a full change. When you say coconut coir, is the espanding type ok. The one you can add to water and it exands?
Usually substrate lasts for one year or more (if tortoise is soaked regularly and goes to the soaking tub and spot cleaning is done timely).

Yes, expanding coco coir bricks are fine. Just hand pack coir after putting in the enclosure.

cpl1307

Lancashire
You have to line the bottom of the enclosure with something waterproof. Shower curtain, mulching film, good tarp and such.

With any kind of substrate you have to keep bottom layers damp.
I never knew that. The bottom is always damp. But doing that would protect my viv. Would you ever use any of these?

Attachments

384.3 KB · Views: 1
    260 KB · Views: 1

cpl1307

Lancashire
Usually substrate lasts for one year or more (if tortoise is soaked regularly and goes to the soaking tub and spot cleaning is done timely).

Yes, expanding coco coir bricks are fine. Just hand pack coir after putting in the enclosure.
Thank you Alex

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I will order it now. I will cut something to the size to go underneath
Leave some liner for the sidewalls and duct tape it. If water gets under the liner - it will stay there forever and ruin the viv.

You will need something like 4-6 inches of substrate, so you need to protect wooden walls at this height as well.

cpl1307

Lancashire
Leave some liner for the sidewalls and duct tape it. If water gets under the liner - it will stay there forever and ruin the viv.
Yeah i was thinking of that. I will try that. Ive just ordered the 75l one. I think he will love the stuff to be honest. Especially for digging in