Hemp bedding

DezAndBowser

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all,
I live in the UK & have had my beautiful Horsfield for 1 month. (10 months old)
Yesterday I posted a query regarding suitable bedding for a Russian tortoise and I have also read a lot of different opinions and “facts” on google.

I decided to go back to the reptile centre where I bought Bowser from (reptile jungle in Iver).
Since having Bowser they have been SO helpful with the annoying weekly phone calls I make with random questions!
They reassured me that Hemp bedding is totally safe (they have used it for over 15 years in the centre and also for their own tortoises at home) and actually recommended nothing else but Hemp whilst Bowser is still quite young.
One member of staff even said she also worried about it after reading so much stuff online when she first bought her tortoise but said it’s one of the best substrates out there.
The chippings are softened down and there are no chemicals. The lady also said that if they are swallowed, there will be no harm.

This really helped me, so wanted to share this on for anyone else who has read a lot of scary things about Hemp bedding.

ps. Bowser is so much more comfortable with the Hemp and loves to bury himself whilst also roaming about his home too. At first he did like the tortoise terrain, however he didn’t try to dig and after an hour he only stayed on his hemp area - so I decided to turn it all back to Hemp.View attachment 230746

Attachments

• IMG_8325.jpg
    IMG_8325.jpg
    902 KB · Views: 42