Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Since it was warm out today (77degrees) I decided to let my torts (Leopards and 1 Star at 1 year) visit there new homes under constuction. As they were enjoying the sun and hills and caves I made, I seen the ants had already made it there home. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Should I just find a new location,or use some sort of pesticide??? They did enjoy there time in the sun. I was careful to see that no ants came back with them.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
We had a problem several weeks ago with ants coming INSIDE and they found the tort table! I will confirm that this stuff is fantastic. We put it around and securely on the edge of the table, and fter 2-3 days, they were gone. Not a one. I have put some of the prefilled containers around my outdoor enclosure as a precaution. Low environmental impact as well.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
Thanks, I picked up a few to see how they work. As for now I went out a bought a 100 gal plastic trough to put half in the ground. Now I need to know what to buy to fill it with? I will put the ant bait around the set up I made and see what happens.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
myrtle651 said:
Thanks, I picked up a few to see how they work. As for now I went out a bought a 100 gal plastic trough to put half in the ground. Now I need to know what to buy to fill it with? I will put the ant bait around the set up I made and see what happens.

Hope this product works well for ants. They seem to be looking for moisture, etc., at this time of year.
For your trough: will it have a few drainage holes (of course, I think like someone from the NW :D). In any case, you could line the bottom with some lava rock for drainage, then a layer of weed fabric, then whatever substrate you like for your torts (I have Russians, so can't advise as well on Leopards/Stars). If you go to the species specific site on this web site, they should have more info.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The hardest part about using the Terro product is just leaving it alone once they start swarming all over it. I had a two year losing battle with those darn ants. I put out the Terro bait and they all came running. They emptied six of those things all over my house. There were millions of them all over the place. I resisted the urge to kill them all on sight and within two days there was not a single trace of any ants anywhere in my house. That was months ago and to this day, we have not seen a single ant.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
I see what you mean! Today only 1 trap had ants around it the other 5 where clear of ants. I could just see the ant holes. Will give it another day, and maybe set up 6 more outside the enclosure.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am gonna go pick some up today for my outdoor enclosure, eveyone seems to be having luck with it.

A

Anthony00814

An ant can lift 20 times its own physique weight.There are three kinds of all-overs in a colony: The queen, the female workers, and males. The queen and the males accept wings, while the workers don't accept wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.