Ants in Sulcata Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

marinaresident

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Monterey, CA
Hi All,
It turns out that I won’t be able to put my two hatchlings Hemet and Murrieta in their temporary outdoor enclosure this weekend... As you can see in the attached photo, there are strawberry bushes. I recently discovered that there are common household ants all over the strawberry bushes. I’ve poured boiling water onto the bushes where the ants are but the ants are still appearing. I was thinking about making homemade bait of borax, peanut butter and honey on a small saucer and place it near the strawberry bushes. What do you think? Is there better and safer way about killing the ants? Please help.

DSC03044.JPG

Thanks,
Marcel

Last edited by a moderator:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If they are just ants (not fire) I wouldn't worry about them I have never seen ants bother a tortoise.If they are on the strawberries they are the kind that like sugar. Len

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Peppermint oil and salt. Or just add 15 drops peppermint oil to water and spray around enclosure. That should remedy the ants. I do this in the house around my baseboards....Tabasco and water work for spiders as well.

You can probably google and get a better recipe for it...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
If it bites me, I take care of it. If it leaves me alone, it should leave the tort alone as well. If these are simply sugar ants, I don't see a problem - but watch for fire ants if you have them in your area...

good luck

teri

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another option is uncooked grits (but not "instant grits"). This is VERY effective on fire ants, yet is perfectly Earth-friendly.

Presumably would be good on other types of ants, as well, but, otoh, if the ants ignore your tortoises, why not leave 'em alome?

Status
Not open for further replies.