Another Russian Nightmare!

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Here we go again. Yesterday I went to Petco just to pick up some cuttle bones for my tortoises. I happened to walk by the tortoise tank that they have there. I looked in and all the tortoises looked horrible. They were all Russians and they were all extremely dry looking. I asked one of the attendantsto let me see the tortoises in the tank. When he opened the tank there were six tortoises in there. All of them were so dry it look like they had chalk all over them. As I was looking at them I picked up several and they were so lightweight it was obvious they were severely dehydrated. Two of the tortoises were DEAD!! there was fresh water in the tank but it was in one of those death bowls. I don't think any of the tortoises had the strength to even get water on their own if they wanted to. Underneath the log was one little female. She was barely 4 inches. She actually looked very good alert healthy she was dry but not as dry as the others. I think that all of the tortoises in that tank with the exception of the female are doomed and are going to die. I frankly think it's too late for them.i spoke to the manager. I called the district manager. I made them take all the tortoises that we're still in there out of the tank and soak them and dispose of the dead ones. I'm certainly not a doctor but I'm willing to bet that the only reason those two tortoises died was because they were severely dehydrated and stressed from being wild caught. I bought the little female. I think she's the only one in that tank that even had a chance to to live. I couldn't leave her there to die. I wish I could have taken them all but again, I really think the others only had hours to live. I brought her home and soaked her. She ate like a champ and pooped. she explored her new hospital tank for a whe and after that she ate and then she buried her self nice and deep and slept all night long. I expected her to stay buried but this morning first thing she was up and moving around her tank again. I soaked her again and she ate again and pooped and peed. I actually think she's pretty healthy. The only issue that she might have is her poop is a light green as opposed to being dark greenish brown. It is fibrous and it's not loose so I'm going to get her on really good food and watch her for the next few days. I'll probably take her to the vet next week although I don't think she's in serious need of one at this time. I can't believe the conditions that those for tortoises were in. Just another large chain pet store story. And by the way just what I needed another Russian tortoise. I now have two females and one male.

Before soaking and after soaking. I also put a drop or two of vitamin E on her she'll.
ATTACH=full]108083[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417721197.917391.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417721185.183695.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1417721185.183695.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 48

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Nice save! Hope it works out well for you. She is a cutie. It is so sad to see them suffering isn't it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
She looks captive bred. Might be why she is so much better off than the others. You got a great tortoise there. Perhaps in the spring, after quarantine, you can put them all together and start putting a dent in the number of imports by producing CB babies to sell.

I wish I could save them all. Good for you. At least this one will have a great home.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
@Tom I kind of thought she might be CB too but I'm not sure why she would be at Petco if that is the case. She looked so different than the others. She is very light in color, she is right at 4 inches (maybe a hair under) and she is not shy. Should I worry about the color of her feces? It's more of a sage green color. Not yellow or beige at all. Thinking that several days on quality weeds and greens might fix that. Any thoughts are welcome. She ate a big plateful last night and this morning and she is out basking now. Think I got a winner.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I would like to think that there were some consequences for that store for having such terrible arrangement for their tortoises and having dead ones in there. but that is probably just wishful thinking on my part. I occasionally look at the tortoises at my local Petco and I wonder if they are captive bred also. The employees say they are but I don't trust them.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very sorry to hear another sad torts story with the chain-store pet shop but very happy at least one are saved.

No end in sight are made me very sad.....

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
How hear breaking :( but how wonderful that YOU saved that tortoise!!! This happens probably so much more than we even know. I NEVER knew that Russians were WC from Petco & Petsmat. How is this true? Just curious? I've read this on the forum quite a bit.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
With the proper care some of the others might turn around. But it's very hard to keep a group of Russians especially with a lot of mails. It's hard to fight the urge to not save them all. I wish there was something we could do, mass media blitz or something to get these stores to stop selling them.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
With the proper care some of the others might turn around. But it's very hard to keep a group of Russians especially with a lot of mails. It's hard to fight the urge to not save them all. I wish there was something we could do, mass media blitz or something to get these stores to stop selling them.
I know. And part of me feels bad for buying a tort in a chain store but how could I leave a healthy "looking" tort in a tank full of dead and imo dying animals. It's a vicious cycle. I love the little girl already though.

TortoiseRN

5 Year Member
Great high yellow color RT. I bet she would throw some beautiful babies.
Great save!!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I would like to think that there were some consequences for that store for having such terrible arrangement for their tortoises and having dead ones in there. but that is probably just wishful thinking on my part. I occasionally look at the tortoises at my local Petco and I wonder if they are captive bred also. The employees say they are but I don't trust them.

i agree they should be prosecuted for cruelty. i understand conditions will never be great in pet shops but to not even notice 2 dead ones shows how little care they had received.

Krabby

MA
She is so lucky that you saved her! I wonder how long her tank mates had been deceased prior to you
finding them? How sad.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
UPDATE: the little girl is doing so well. Probably the most alert and active Russian I've ever had. She is not afraid of me at all. When I pick her up to soak her, she does not withdraw into her she'll. she is very curious too. I'm beginning to really believe she is CB. The only explanation I have is maybe someone surrendered her to the pet shop. The others in the tank were absolutely WC. Also, the vitamin E oil I put on her shell has been completely absorbed. Goes to show just how dry she was. I've used vit E on my other torts occasionally (once every couple of months) and they remain shiny for weeks. Her she'll is beautiful. I'll post a new photo tomorrow when she is awake