Another road trip

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
OK back to my story...we changed to leopard to a tiger and saw a very large turtle...both Y and I thought it is a Western Painted...a HUGE turtle...and 2 RES as big as her. Here's a plastron shot...does that help?100_2195.JPG
She has always had numerous desert torts in a huge area...this for me is kind of a heart breaker...100_2204.JPG
I didn't get a photo of the blind mountain tort but she grown since last year...she's gone from the size of a quarter to a silver dollar with bright growth lines...
another photo of Mt Shasta100_2230.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mary is one month younger than I. She didn't have a stroke...she has congestive heart failure...they suck her chest 3 times a day. Friday she went home as she has a DNR. So she has one of her sisters to stay with her and there's a hospice nurse there 24/7. There is no "giving up" the big doctors have given her less than 14 days.to live
Well it's good that you were able to face-to-face with her in her last days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was trying to show @Markw84 the size of that Western Painted turtle...I bet she was really close to 4 pounds...here's another Mount Shasta photo from the car...

View attachment 343622another of my favorite species...View attachment 343623
one thing was sad for me. She only has one desert tortoise left

OMG! You keep changing my animal species and Y does the same thing with sexes. I am so laughing...she's gonna have a fit...
I'm pretty sure when that turtle showed up in my pond I put her on the Forum and Mark I.D.' d her as Western painted. In a minute I'll go to the computer and see if I have pictures of her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
These are the only pictures I have of her on the computer. If they're not good enough I'll go get some new ones.

western painted a.jpgwestern painted b.jpgwestern painted c.jpg

I took pictures of her foot because she has too many toes on that foot. Early on in her life she suffered some sort of injury that caused a divot to her shell above that foot and too many toes and claws to grow.

@Markw84

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OK back to my story...we changed to leopard to a tiger and saw a very large turtle...both Y and I thought it is a Western Painted...a HUGE turtle...and 2 RES as big as her. Here's a plastron shot...does that help?View attachment 343625
She has always had numerous desert torts in a huge area...this for me is kind of a heart breaker...View attachment 343626
I didn't get a photo of the blind mountain tort but she grown since last year...she's gone from the size of a quarter to a silver dollar with bright growth lines...
another photo of Mt ShastaView attachment 343627
Interesting that Mount Shasta is so close to Avila Beach.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure when that turtle showed up in my pond I put her on the Forum and Mark I.D.' d her as Western painted. In a minute I'll go to the computer and see if I have pictures of her.
No, I DID have Mark I.D. a turtle, but it was a smaller one and she's no longer with me.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
These are the only pictures I have of her on the computer. If they're not good enough I'll go get some new ones.

View attachment 343633View attachment 343634View attachment 343636

I took pictures of her foot because she has too many toes on that foot. Early on in her life she suffered some sort of injury that caused a divot to her shell above that foot and too many toes and claws to grow.

@Markw84
That is a cooter for sure. Looks like a Florida Red-bellied Cooter Pseudemys nelsoni. Hard to be sure without seeing neck striping, but from plastron, bottom of marginals, legs and carapace, sure it is one of the Red-bellied cooters.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm sure most of you know when I went...on Easter...well, Monday actually...I normally I start driving about 1 am...Oregon cannot pay OSP to patrol at night so I drive fast thru Oregon.But I always get there uncomfortably wired...so this time I left at 7 am...it was different...her driveway and all that entails...I felt like Queen Elizabeth on a red carpet...check it outView attachment 343595
It's really changed the driveway in a good way...and the gate is electric...this trip I was really impressed by her water turtles...the camera doesn't really show the size...for Mark84...this IS a Western Painted...it is freakin huge...I am so glad Buddy is a midland as I sure don'tr have the room or equipment for a Western painted...lol...View attachment 343596
I took a picture of Mt. Shasta...View attachment 343599
my very favorite tortoise Dudley Gomez...View attachment 343601unless you have gotten on your knees in front of a wild animal that this massive...you just don't know So f'ing huge...his front legs are bigger than my arms...it's hard to express the feeling of wild as all my animals are handled and socialized...but not Dudley.View attachment 343602
and I hope my sister will forgive me...but he's kind grumpy too...another photo of Mt ShastaView attachment 343603
so while I was gone doing something Y fed the animals...as well as turtles and tortoises she has a leopard...View attachment 343604
so I went back for more photos of Dudley cuz I am so impressed by him, my Bob was 120 lbs when he died, but he just wasn't as "beefy" as Dudley...soI told you she fed while I was off taking other photos...so my buddy Dudley Gomez was fed and when I got down to get a good eating photo Dudley took offence so he hiked himself up and threw himself at me...
to be continued...View attachment 343606View attachment 343605
I can't believe you were only going 83😁

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
OMG! You keep changing my animal species and Y does the same thing with sexes. I am so laughing...she's gonna have a fit...

I dunno Mags, maybe you need to up your game on the "Guesses"? LMAO

......at least with the sexes, you can claim "transition" as an excuse, as I may have to do with Matilda as she gets older & we all figure out if she's a she or a he!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I dunno Mags, maybe you need to up your game on the "Guesses"? LMAO

......at least with the sexes, you can claim "transition" as an excuse, as I may have to do with Matilda as she gets older & we all figure out if she's a she or a he!
in my humble opinion and because he has never been wrong that I know of, AND he is so willing to change even the species of my animals let alone the sex...@Markw84 is simply freakin unbeatable. When my friend dies which is on a daily watch now, but her family will have a memorial and when I go, I'm getting a motel in the Sacramento area on the way home and he will get to show me his animals...giggle100_2206.JPG