Another road trip

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I'm sure most of you know when I went...on Easter...well, Monday actually...I normally I start driving about 1 am...Oregon cannot pay OSP to patrol at night so I drive fast thru Oregon.But I always get there uncomfortably wired...so this time I left at 7 am...it was different...her driveway and all that entails...I felt like Queen Elizabeth on a red carpet...check it out100_2223.JPG
It's really changed the driveway in a good way...and the gate is electric...this trip I was really impressed by her water turtles...the camera doesn't really show the size...for Mark84...this IS a Western Painted...it is freakin huge...I am so glad Buddy is a midland as I sure don'tr have the room or equipment for a Western painted...lol...100_2195.JPG
I took a picture of Mt. Shasta...100_2220.JPG
my very favorite tortoise Dudley Gomez...100_2178.JPGunless you have gotten on your knees in front of a wild animal that this massive...you just don't know So f'ing huge...his front legs are bigger than my arms...it's hard to express the feeling of wild as all my animals are handled and socialized...but not Dudley.100_2183.JPG
and I hope my sister will forgive me...but he's kind grumpy too...another photo of Mt Shasta100_2171.JPG
so while I was gone doing something Y fed the animals...as well as turtles and tortoises she has a leopard...100_2199.JPG
so I went back for more photos of Dudley cuz I am so impressed by him, my Bob was 120 lbs when he died, but he just wasn't as "beefy" as Dudley...soI told you she fed while I was off taking other photos...so my buddy Dudley Gomez was fed and when I got down to get a good eating photo Dudley took offence so he hiked himself up and threw himself at me...
to be continued...100_2185.JPG100_2236.JPG

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'm sure most of you know when I went...on Easter...well, Monday actually...I normally I start driving about 1 am...Oregon cannot pay OSP to patrol at night so I drive fast thru Oregon.But I always get there uncomfortably wired...so this time I left at 7 am...it was different...her driveway and all that entails...I felt like Queen Elizabeth on a red carpet...check it outView attachment 343595
It's really changed the driveway in a good way...and the gate is electric...this trip I was really impressed by her water turtles...the camera doesn't really show the size...for Mark84...this IS a Western Painted...it is freakin huge...I am so glad Buddy is a midland as I sure don'tr have the room or equipment for a Western painted...lol...View attachment 343596
I took a picture of Mt. Shasta...View attachment 343599
my very favorite tortoise Dudley Gomez...View attachment 343601unless you have gotten on your knees in front of a wild animal that this massive...you just don't know So f'ing huge...his front legs are bigger than my arms...it's hard to express the feeling of wild as all my animals are handled and socialized...but not Dudley.View attachment 343602
and I hope my sister will forgive me...but he's kind grumpy too...another photo of Mt ShastaView attachment 343603
so while I was gone doing something Y fed the animals...as well as turtles and tortoises she has a leopard...View attachment 343604
so I went back for more photos of Dudley cuz I am so impressed by him, my Bob was 120 lbs when he died, but he just wasn't as "beefy" as Dudley...soI told you she fed while I was off taking other photos...so my buddy Dudley Gomez was fed and when I got down to get a good eating photo Dudley took offence so he hiked himself up and threw himself at me...
to be continued...View attachment 343606View attachment 343605
OUCH!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Besides the ticket, it looks like you had a great road trip

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Expensive visit , but great pics of Dudley!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So, is that a gift from OSP or CHP? I'm sure it must be a wonderful time seeing the Yvonne's clan.
OSP...3 hours after I left home...I wasn't even out of Oregon yet...This will cause a laugh in those who think I'm a dedicated speeder...BUT...I made up my mind NO SPEEDING...so I'm just cruising along...9 am' bright sun, Leon Russell singing Tightrope to me...I was eating a bologna (why do we say "baloney )sandwich and feeding potato chips to my cat...slower traffic, so I move to the hammer lane increased my speed a little to go around then back into the slower lane and add Mt Dew to my list of distracting things I do while driving. The one thing I didn't do while driving was to look for you know who...BECAUSE I WASN"T SPEEDING...son of a b**ch. What do ya say..."hi officer redneck, patrolling Jackson County"...yes I was speeding only I did not know it...oh man, I even spit out potato chips on him!!! I got my bottom teeth knocked out so it's kind of a different thing, nothing much to hold food in...oh god....twice... I also had no proof of insurance or registration...oh sh*t. What a dumbass. Maggie the auto driver failed at a whole bunch of things....lol
res100_2192.JPG
you see how big he is...that's me holding him100_2192.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Expensive visit , but great pics of Dudley!!
This for me to go...
Brake job....$570.
AAA road service $170
gas $650 food 1 double cheeseburger $10
and now to add to my collection
ticket $265
I got to spend 2 hours with my dying friend so the money that was donated by friends and loved ones is well worth it because while I was with her she looked like heck, but her brain was clear and lucid, she was funny and we laughed. Since then she's been seizing and hallucinating, she was sent home to die, they had given her less than 2 weeks to live, but she's been hallucinating since I left.. I do that to people :(
100_2242.JPG100_2245.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm sure most of you know when I went...on Easter...well, Monday actually...I normally I start driving about 1 am...Oregon cannot pay OSP to patrol at night so I drive fast thru Oregon.But I always get there uncomfortably wired...so this time I left at 7 am...it was different...her driveway and all that entails...I felt like Queen Elizabeth on a red carpet...check it outView attachment 343595
It's really changed the driveway in a good way...and the gate is electric...this trip I was really impressed by her water turtles...the camera doesn't really show the size...for Mark84...this IS a Western Painted...it is freakin huge...I am so glad Buddy is a midland as I sure don'tr have the room or equipment for a Western painted...lol...View attachment 343596
I took a picture of Mt. Shasta...View attachment 343599
my very favorite tortoise Dudley Gomez...View attachment 343601unless you have gotten on your knees in front of a wild animal that this massive...you just don't know So f'ing huge...his front legs are bigger than my arms...it's hard to express the feeling of wild as all my animals are handled and socialized...but not Dudley.View attachment 343602
and I hope my sister will forgive me...but he's kind grumpy too...another photo of Mt ShastaView attachment 343603
so while I was gone doing something Y fed the animals...as well as turtles and tortoises she has a leopard...View attachment 343604
to be continued...View attachment 343606View attachment 343605
@mark84

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Where is your radar detector Miss Maggie? If you are gonna fly low, you have to be able to avoid the radar...
I was staying at whatever speed limit it was...with random spurts of 85...damn redneck OSP...in Jackson County...saw me and that basically was at the beginning of my 1800 mile trip. First ticket in 6 years...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This for me to go...
Brake job....$570.
AAA road service $170
gas $650 food 1 double cheeseburger $10
and now to add to my collection
ticket $265
I got to spend 2 hours with my dying friend so the money that was donated by friends and loved ones is well worth it because while I was with her she looked like heck, but her brain was clear and lucid, she was funny and we laughed. Since then she's been seizing and hallucinating, she was sent home to die, they had given her less than 2 weeks to live, but she's been hallucinating since I left.. I do that to people :(
View attachment 343614View attachment 343613
You can't put a price on something like that Maggie. So pleased you got to spend time with her and made her laugh.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How old is Mary, do you know? Hopefully she won't give up, and might just be able to come back from her stroke. Does she have anyone besides Woody there to care for her at home?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How old is Mary, do you know? Hopefully she won't give up, and might just be able to come back from her stroke. Does she have anyone besides Woody there to care for her at home?
Mary is one month younger than I. She didn't have a stroke...she has congestive heart failure...they suck her chest 3 times a day. Friday she went home as she has a DNR. So she has one of her sisters to stay with her and there's a hospice nurse there 24/7. There is no "giving up" the big doctors have given her less than 14 days.to live

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
lol no wonder I couldn't find him...thanks
Maggie. Sounds like a good trip - where you passed very close to my house again!

I really hate to be contrary... but that is not a western painted turtle either! That plastron is of a cooter or possibly slider! From what I see of the head, looks like cooter. Definitely not a painted.

Love all the pictures and your story telling!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I was trying to show @Markw84 the size of that Western Painted turtle...I bet she was really close to 4 pounds...here's another Mount Shasta photo from the car...

100_2228.JPGanother of my favorite species...100_2190.JPG
one thing was sad for me. She only has one desert tortoise left
Maggie. Sounds like a good trip - where you passed very close to my house again!

I really hate to be contrary... but that is not a western painted turtle either! That plastron is of a cooter or possibly slider! From what I see of the head, looks like cooter. Definitely not a painted.

OMG! You keep changing my animal species and Y does the same thing with sexes. I am so laughing...she's gonna have a fit...

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I was trying to show @Markw84 the size of that Western Painted turtle...I bet she was really close to 4 pounds...here's another Mount Shasta photo from the car...

View attachment 343622another of my favorite species...View attachment 343623
one thing was sad for me. She only has one desert tortoise left

OMG! You keep changing my animal species and Y does the same thing with sexes. I am so laughing...she's gonna have a fit...
I love the Western Pond Turtles as well. I have some real old rescues in my pond and then find babies every year that emerge. I wish I could incubate nests I do see in my pond area when I see them, but good old California law says that would be illegal even though is is a endangered and actually - disappearing species!! We could save the species if they changed the law. Habitat loss and fragmentation is not going to stop so they will disappear.