Another one lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
My wife and I saw two large water turtles crossing the interstate north of Little Rock today. We didn't have time to quickly pull over so we took the next exit to turn around. When we got back to the spot, one turtle was gone (probably turned around and went back into the weeds), but the other turtle was smashed. It was a sad day. We tried to save her. It must be breeding time for turtles around here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate that. It should be mandatory when road building that they have to put up a short fence to keep tortoises and turtles off the highways.

They started building that for the desert tortoises in California, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I wonder how that's working out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The worst part is, is how some people actually swerve to hit them.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
dmmj said:
The worst part is, is how some people actually swerve to hit them.

some people are just so terrible (wish there was an angry emoticon on here but this will do) >:[

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They started building that for the desert tortoises in California, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I wonder how that's working out.

Yvonne, the fencing along the highways works well....

They even have the walkways that go under the freeways in some places...they double as drainage ways during the winter (so the little buggers use them during the tortoise season....):D

While no system is perfect, their attempts at a middle ground appear to be working favorably...

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
Very sad to see, especially as already mentioned how some people will go out of there way to hit them, I have a friend whose grandparents live in Eureka Springs Arkansas, and his grandpa said people go out of there way to hit the boxies there :(
We saw a snapper hit,

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
City of Davis did that for toads.. Built a tunnel that went under the roads...

at least you cared enough to try and went back.. sorry it didnt turn out well...

Status
Not open for further replies.