Learning my state (Louisiana) laws

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have been corresponding via email with the LA Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries around various turtle related issues and have learned some new things.

In regards to eggs from wild turtles, the law specifically reads "No person shall take the eggs of any species of turtle, except the Red Ear (Trachemys scripta), wherever found." (...I have no idea why Red Ears are the only exception).

I was also told that in Louisiana it "is illegal to release turtles and any wildlife back into the wild."

On the positive side, we can keep DBT, spotted turtles and any foreign turtles/torts- we just need a valid LA State hunting and fishing license, which is easily done.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Nice to know. Red ears are probaby an exception bc they are over populated.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Moozillion said:
I have been corresponding via email with the LA Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries around various turtle related issues and have learned some new things.

In regards to eggs from wild turtles, the law specifically reads "No person shall take the eggs of any species of turtle, except the Red Ear (Trachemys scripta), wherever found." (...I have no idea why Red Ears are the only exception).

I was also told that in Louisiana it "is illegal to release turtles and any wildlife back into the wild."

On the positive side, we can keep DBT, spotted turtles and any foreign turtles/torts- we just need a valid LA State hunting and fishing license, which is easily done.

I, also, am from Louisiana. What exactly does the last part of the law mean?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
red ear sliders are a huge problem for many places because they are an invasive species (released into the wild by owners who didnt want it l, couldnt keep it, etc.). laws are loose regarding their capture from the wild, but strict about their release.