Another Newbie

desertr0se

5 Year Member
i have a Desert Tortoise and he's about 5 years old, I assume. He weighs about 5 pounds. We Adopted him from the State of Arizona. I just adopted a Sulcata and I believe she is about 50 pounds and not sure of her age. My desert tort is hibernating right now in a burrow we constructed for him.

We live in the Arizona desert where it can get pretty cold at night in winter and really hot in the summer. My Sulcata has an insulated house with heat and she won't go in by herself yet, so easy night we place her by the front door and encourage her until she walks in by herself. We are planning to build her a den she can use in the summer to stay cool. Lots of work! Love reading the posts and seeing your tortoise structures.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from Phx, AZ . You know you don't have to hibernate your desert tort , it don't help it or need it . And you shouldn't the first year to check it to see if it's ok ( enough fat stored no health problems ) .
So when do we get to see a pict of the desert tort and its enclosure . As you can read I don't do skully 's but I have and love desert torts . Have a great tort day !

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just in case you didn't know...the two species of tortoise should have their own yards and be kept separate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California