Another mystery

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I have another critter to identify...so I'm working in my bedroom closet getting all the Christmas crap down and all that stuff to decorate and I came upon a cardboard box that had my Lenox vase boxes the original boxes I collect Lenox crystal vases and so here's what I saw these bite marks...very sharp and there's tracks and and it's just really weird no poop anywhere and whatever kind of creature was was starting to shred newspaper to make an nest but that's clean they left evidently. The thing that's bothering me is my closet... the boxes that I'm talking about were on the third high shelf up by the damn ceiling.... too high for a mouse or a rat I would think and this is too sharp so tell me what you think guys thanks. notice to drag marks to it's like this big sharp hole and then I don't know drag marks is just really weird and it's scaring me because it's obviously a very sharp thing that did that 100_1421.JPG100_1426.JPG100_1421.JPG100_1426.JPG100_1424.JPG100_1423.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
PacificNorthWest
Unless the shelf is supported by greased, steel posts there is no such thing as too high for a mouse or rat.
Yes and I do have them bad...i even had 2 different mice make nests in my car...in the seat! But these indentions don't look mouse or rat...ya think?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
PacificNorthWest
Rodents don't have fangs. And they are not the least bit house trained.

My guess: cat.
wrong...I do have 2 cats...one is a 30 lb Maine Coon who cannot jump or climb...and the other is a 14 year old kitty who has bad hips and cannot climb or jump...so while it's a good guess...no cigar...the shelf the boxes are on is a measured 25 ft high...so nope...not a cat
you can see Simon's cancer eye in this photo....1624741269359.jpgand Smokey...IMG_20210630_172257.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
wrong...I do have 2 cats...one is a 30 lb Maine Coon who cannot jump or climb...and the other is a 14 year old kitty who has bad hips and cannot climb or jump...so while it's a good guess...no cigar...the shelf the boxes are on is a measured 25 ft high...so nope...not a cat
you can see Simon's cancer eye in this photo....View attachment 338251and Smokey...View attachment 338253
I love your dial phone in the first picture. Did I give that to you? I just gave a touch tone one similar to that to Genine to give to one of the autistic kids at her school. Every time his class comes into the lunch room he runs into the kitchen and starts pounding on their phone. I just checked with Amazon and I can buy one like yours for $46, but it's an off the wall brand, not Western Electric or AT&T.

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
you can see Simon's cancer eye in this photo....View attachment 338251and Smokey...View attachment 338253
I was wondering if in the first picture that is the equivalent of gray hair in a senior cat. ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Maggie, I would start by ruling things out. . .My first guess would be a raccoon, BUT you say this is in a bedroom closet. What has access to the closet? Racoon = No, Cat's = yes (although way too large (No I wouldn't say fat, don't wanna hurt their feelings)) Rat's = YES. Any other critter's you've had in your house? . .
And, I know rats can jump 5'. So a High shelf would not be much of a problem, and they are exceptional climbers, as are raccoons, but I'm not so sure of the Claw? marks, or Tooth/teeth? marks. . . So. . . I'm not quite sure what made those marks