Punctuation...?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Punctuation!!! It's those little dots, dashes and marks people are supposed to use when writing or typing, so that the reader may have an easier time understanding what is being said or asked. Right? This post was prompted by a post I saw a while ago, which, astonishingly, had absolutely nothing in the way of, well, !?';, or even a . at the end. Should I just try to control myself and move on?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Punctuation!!! It's those little dots, dashes and marks people are supposed to use when writing or typing, so that the reader may have an easier time understanding what is being said or asked. Right? This post was prompted by a post I saw a while ago, which, astonishingly, had absolutely nothing in the way of, well, !?';, or even a . at the end. Should I just try to control myself and move on?
Duh, Tammy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lack of punctuation and sentence formation drives me nuts too. This forum is not a text message to your buddy. Or maybe we are/were already nuts?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm bad about run on sentences at times. Truely though I think commas, periods, exclamation marks, etc.... help with what you are trying to express in writing. It's tedious but worth it to me. It helps keep my mind somewhat working 😉

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Sometimes the entire meaning of a sentence can be changed by the placement of a comma. Punctuation is used for that reason. I can manage a wall of print better than no commas, periods, and all the others.

Does anyone else remember Victor Borge (IMO, the greatest comedian ever!) and his phonetic punctuation? I saw him in concert many years ago...he was wonderful.

Enjoy...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I appreciate this thread, but many people have literacy difficulties and/or specific learning difficulties which can affect the way they relay their thoughts in writing. Just something to bear in mind when reviewing posts!
I can usually tell the difference between someone who isn't used to writing and someone who is lazy or is confusing the forum with texting on their phone

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have no idea how I missed this initial post!!! Yes, three exclamation marks!

Ok - how about single paragraphs that go on and on and on! Fifty different ideas, topics, conclusions and questions smushed together into one big long paragraph!?

TLDR = too long didn't read was made for posts like these.

Now, back to my Kate L. Turabian novel. 😀 if you get it, you got it. ✅

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sometimes, since I speak English a post might be difficult to understand because the person posting doesn't. It's pretty easy to tell the difference. So I try to read between the lines. All you have to do is look at their profile. It will tell you what's going on. Other times I don't care because they're hilarious.🤗

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I appreciate this thread, but many people have literacy difficulties and/or specific learning difficulties which can affect the way they relay their thoughts in writing. Just something to bear in mind when reviewing posts!
Of course you are right. This is totally understood, and I respect and admire people who, although they may not be great at English and punctuation and are aware of that fact, still care enough about their pets to come here and seek help. What I was actually referring to in that Post #15, was someone, not in this thread at all, but just a recent new person who came to this forum and started being quite obnoxious and insulting, so I was really glad that the person vanished.