An observation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
I have noticed that when my gang are inside they sleep alot whereas outside they are very active nearly all day long. Question is this because they are bored inside or the natural daylight makes them more active?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I go with daylight making them more active. It just seems to perk them up, much like it does us humans. It's very helpful for a sick tortoise to get some time outside, even if only in shade.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Same here with my Russian. She lives outside but goes out to roam freely for 30 minutes every day. She is SO much more active when she gets out...I love wowing the neighbors and guests like "Oh yeah, this is my tortoise...she goes out sometimes." And you can tell they're thinking "Oh no, this is going to be boring. How slow does that thing go anyway? 0.024 miles an hour?" Oh their expressions when she starts cruising :p.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I think it might be a mixture of the two -- my torts live outside in an enclosure, but get about a half hour a day to roam the large yard with supervision. During their roam time, which comes right before dusk, they're very active -- pacing the fences, climbing, exploring, looking for trouble. On days when we leave them in the outdoor enclosure that time of day, they're much less active. They come out of their hides for a quick munch, but that's about it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sueb4653 said:
I have noticed that when my gang are inside they sleep alot whereas outside they are very active nearly all day long. Question is this because they are bored inside or the natural daylight makes them more active?

There are many possible reasons for this. Both of your theories are possibilities. In the case of hatchlings, it is the opposite for me. They run around all day indoors, but mostly hide and sit still outdoors.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes, especially in the case of baby tortoises, the reason you see a lot of activity outside is because they are scared and are running around because they don't know where the safe spot is, safe from predators. In this case, it's not "activity" you are seeing, but a very scared little tortoise.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Yvonne G said:
Sometimes, especially in the case of baby tortoises, the reason you see a lot of activity outside is because they are scared and are running around because they don't know where the safe spot is, safe from predators. In this case, it's not "activity" you are seeing, but a very scared little tortoise.

Hmm, I wonder if my juveniles are scared or curious when they're out in the yard. How can you tell the difference? They munch on weeds and roam around the perimeter of the yard, but never go in the middle, which is wide open with nowhere to hide. I don't want to stress them out. I thought by taking them out I was stimulating them and letting them stretch their legs and graze. Once they stop exploring and settle in a makeshift hide of a bush or plant pot or whatever, which is usually after 30-45 minutes depending on temps, I put them in their burrows for the night.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Mine fear eat, too. Sometimes, after a lot of fear walking and fear eating, they stretch out and fear sleep.

Darn it, Sun! You scary!

On a slightly more serious note, some do have a fear or something like anxiety of exposure and potential predation. You can usually tell the difference between the associated hauling donkey response and the exploratory behavior like Curious George eats clover as the man in the big yellow hat makes sure Curious George does not leave the yard. Just by casually observing.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
That is hilarious.

Sandy in Oregon
Schlomo the rescue Sulcata
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis)
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Baoh said:
Mine fear eat, too. Sometimes, after a lot of fear walking and fear eating, they stretch out and fear sleep.

Darn it, Sun! You scary!

On a slightly more serious note, some do have a fear or something like anxiety of exposure and potential predation. You can usually tell the difference between the associated hauling donkey response and the exploratory behavior like Curious George eats clover as the man in the big yellow hat makes sure Curious George does not leave the yard. Just by casually observing.

They FEAR EAT? Man, the more I learn about torts, the more I realize I have in common with them (she wrote, grabbing a handful of chips while on a deadline).

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I bring my little one to my work and horse barn on some days. I noticed she becomes very active when i put her into her plastic carrier. She starts walking around and eating. she doesnt seem scared to me. I just think its funny how she likes to snack during the car ride. :)

Baoh said:

Darn it, Sun! You scary!

lmao! too funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.