Just looking for an opinion

nicole evalle

Hi,

Ive recently bought my boyfriend a leopard tortoise (we both have investigated a lot about them). The baby tortoise lives inside the house (uvb,uva,waterdish,etc) in a tortoise table. We got him in June and he was very active from the start as he would make a few laps around in the table, but I knew he was trying to escape because I had read that they tend to try to escape from new enviroments.

Anyway, my boyfriend started taking him out to the front yard (that is never sprayed with any pesticide) and watch the tortoise walk around, explore and grase on plants. However, lately due to his job, he hasnt been able to take him out and has noticed a decreased amount of tortoise excersing whereas he does not do his laps and only goes out to bask and eat, which i believe is normal. And i told him that if he is so concerned he should make him an outside enclosure, but he claims he is too small? And that a raccoon or possum can get him, or find a way into any cage.

I feel like my boyfriend babies him, honestly, what is your opinions?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I don't know a deal about this species and I'm assuming this Leo is a juvenile. When young they do hide a lot. However, if yours is in an open table the entire table may not be at the correct temps, the only way to make sure the entire enclosure is in the correct temperature range is to either have a closed chamber or have the entire room at the correct temps. Also you will struggle with humidity levels in an open enclosure.
If there are cold areas in your enclosure your little guy will either seek out the warm spots or be very lethargic. Check your temps away from the heat source.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If his home is big enough and all his needs are met, he should be fine staying indoors. He may have paced in the beginning because the surroundings were unfamiliar. Now that it feels like home, he may not feel the need to patrol. However, an open table probably isn't providing him with enough humidity and warmth. Your boyfriend is right; he can't be put outside unsupervised at his size unless you can provide an environment that is protected from predators, including birds.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your tort as well as his enclosure. And give him daily soaks in warm water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do baby tortoises have the need to explore?

No, mostly they hide. When you see a baby doing a lot of quick walking it usually means he's scared and looking to find a safe place.