Ambient temps

Mbyler

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Good afternoon, well I have the humidity and enclosure fixed! I am curious about the ambient temps. The humid side and basking area is 102 and the middle of the enclosure is 95, and the cool side is about 88. I have a temp gun and gauges inside. How hot is too hot?! I’ve searched and didn’t see a thread about that, although I’m sure there is one and I’ve overlooked it. I know I’ve had comments on my thread about at least an 80 degree temp, but is warmer ok too? Thanks for the help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good afternoon, well I have the humidity and enclosure fixed! I am curious about the ambient temps. The humid side and basking area is 102 and the middle of the enclosure is 95, and the cool side is about 88. I have a temp gun and gauges inside. How hot is too hot?! I’ve searched and didn’t see a thread about that, although I’m sure there is one and I’ve overlooked it. I know I’ve had comments on my thread about at least an 80 degree temp, but is warmer ok too? Thanks for the help!
What size is this enclosure?

Those are good daytime temps, and it should drop to around 80 at night. I would raise the basking fixture just a little bit to get the basking temp 95-100.

Mbyler

Phoenix
What size is this enclosure?

Those are good daytime temps, and it should drop to around 80 at night. I would raise the basking fixture just a little bit to get the basking temp 95-100.
He is in a 44 gallon galvanized trough. Maybe I need a lower watt bulb?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can just raise the basking light it would lower the basking temp.
Do not let temps drop below 80 day or night.
I personally keep my enclosure temps at 80. Usually when a leopard gets sick we tell the member to raise the temp to 85. In the wild they can adjust their temps easier then in the enclosures we have them in. Your choice to get the over all temps lower to 80 or not.

Mbyler

Phoenix
If you can just raise the basking light it would lower the basking temp.
Do not let temps drop below 80 day or night.
I personally keep my enclosure temps at 80. Usually when a leopard gets sick we tell the member to raise the temp to 85. In the wild they can adjust their temps easier then in the enclosures we have them in. Your choice to get the over all temps lower to 80 or not.
Thank you for the information! How do you measure the ambient temp? I’ve been using my gun on the ground. The gauges read higher( heat rises) so the ground is lower. Is that correct to do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You want to read them at tortoise height and ground is how I do it. If the ground is 80 the tort will be warm enough. Basking area I make sure the ground is around 90-95.
Temp guns are pretty reliable. Is the other gauges digital or those round puck type ones? Only use digital, the puck like ones are not reliable.
As long as all the gauges and temp gun is within couple degrees of each other things should be good.