respiratory infection? Help!!!

Natasha

5 Year Member
Hello,
I got a tiny leopard baby, and yesterday I noticed he got some bubbles coming up from his nose, and I can tell he is a little sick. He still eats well. I read all kind of posts yesterday, and increased his temps today. The ambient is about 88 or so. Of course, because he is in the open container, it is really hard to control temps, and some of the high ones a measured with temp gun were a bit over 100. But overall 88-90 ambient. I will be covering him tonight with the foil as I saw in Yvonne's postings. We will be building closed enclosure this weekend.
But I want him to get better in the mean time and ASAP. How long would it take to clear the infection?
And when should I take him to vet? Should I wait and see for few days, a week? Or go right away?

Like I said he still eats and is moderately active.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It's not always a RI it could just be stress. If he's active and eating that's a good sign. Hopefully the raised temps will take care of it. Just keep monitoring him.

— Gus

Alaskamike

South Florida
I noticed one of my 10 mo olds blowing bubbles one day. Freaked me a bit too. But it was just one day and not seen since. Stick to basics of good care and they should be alright

M

Maggie Cummings

Could the bubbles come from being too dusty and dry? Tortoise babies know they are prey animals, so they hide signs of being sick(weakness) so when we finally see signs of sickness they've been sick for a while. Cover his container now, don't wait for tonight. Keep him hydrated, fed and warm...I personally would take him to the Vet now, before he gets any sicker. Do not let the vet give a Vit A injection. Just shots of antibiotic. Naxcell is easier on them then Baytril...my opinion from having to care for a lot of sick tortoises...soak him daily in warm water...

Natasha

5 Year Member
Oh thank you so much. I called a vet yesterday, yet to hear from him. But I will check at lunch and see how Runkle is doing, and will get ahold of a vet. I did cover it with foil and checked temps all evening, he was in 85 or so in his hide with 80% humidity. But when i woke up in the morning, the temperature instead of going down as it did before, it went up because the substrate dried, and he was in mid 90's.
It seems way to hot for a night, I don't want to accidentally cook him either.
I have a spagnum moss in about half and cypress mulch in another half, and I spray constantly, so I don't think it would be too dusty.
Thank you for info on antibiotics, I will tell the vet. I have few followup questions.
Article I read mentioned following antibiotics:
Oxytetracycline (Terramycin), Tylosin
Any good? Bad?
And why no vitamin A shot? I keep hearing both pro and cons, but not why?

Again, than you so much.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Get a thermostat to control your temps. It will automatically shut off when it reaches your desired temp. And turn on if it lowers.

— Gus

Natasha

5 Year Member
I am looking at thermostats. I saw people use Zilla 1000 watt and hygrotherm humidity by zoomed: link .
Does anyone use REPTITERM 500R: here is the link: link ?
Any other kind?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a quick reminder to everyone...some leopard tortoises are very allergic to Baytril (enrofloxacin), so it is advisable to use something other than Baytril when treating leopard tortoises for R.I.

Natasha

5 Year Member
Well I discussed it with vet and he said because of how small he was we were basically stuck with Baytril via drops. The baby was super tired after the doctor visit and got me really concerned if it was the antibiotic, or he was just doing so much worse. But few hours after, he got up and seem to be better. So I am hoping for the best and hopefully 2nd dose of Baytril won't hurt him but do more good.