Am I over-feeding?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I think my little Mississippi mud turtle, who will be a year old in a month or so, is getting fat. I have tried to get a good picture of him, but he's not cooperating. He seems to be bulging just a bit where all 4 legs come out of the shell. He's very active, bright, curious and LOOOOOVES to eat.

I have been feeding him Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets: he gets about 10 each morning and probably another 4-6 in the evening. He also gets occasional shrimp or "Krab" (the fake crab they use in sushi).

Thoughts? Thanks! :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My turtles get like that too. I think its more pronounced in Musk and a little less so in muds because of their reduced plastrons. But, yes, for me that's when I do cut back a bit. They get way more food in captivity and better food than they would have access to in the wild. I think they are so used to eating anything whenever they find it, they don't have a well defined sense of when to stop!! So for me I see it as a good healthy turtle, but don't let it get too bad.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My turtles get like that too. I think its more pronounced in Musk and a little less so in muds because of their reduced plastrons. But, yes, for me that's when I do cut back a bit. They get way more food in captivity and better food than they would have access to in the wild. I think they are so used to eating anything whenever they find it, they don't have a well defined sense of when to stop!! So for me I see it as a good healthy turtle, but don't let it get too bad.
Thanks!!! I'll try and cut down on his afternoon snack! ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Turtles can eat Krab? How often and how much do you feed?
If hubby and I happen to go out for sushi, I bring one piece of sushi home for Jacques. I pick of the shrimp and/or the crab. I just give him a little because he makes SUCH a mess...but a happy mess!!!! :p:p:p

Randi

Canada
I have a Reeve's and he's somewhat chubby too. I made a post and the experts here told me that he looks incredibly healthy and will be filling in that chub over time. The chub you speak of reminds me of my turtles chub. I wouldn't worry too much. You have a healthy little guy that you loooove! You're doing great. I see that you too will save some of your meal for your animals. :) such a good owner, you are.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have a Reeve's and he's somewhat chubby too. I made a post and the experts here told me that he looks incredibly healthy and will be filling in that chub over time. The chub you speak of reminds me of my turtles chub. I wouldn't worry too much. You have a healthy little guy that you loooove! You're doing great. I see that you too will save some of your meal for your animals. :) such a good owner, you are.
Thank you!!!! :):):)