am i just worrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I called this morning, and the vet is going to call me back after surgeries to see we're going to do. His last shot was Saturday. He's not really improving. I strongly think it's because it took me a few days to get the shots in him properly.

Mark, I cleaned everything out the day before I took him to the vet, do you think that would be sufficient? Or should I do it again?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
goReptiles said:
Mark, I cleaned everything out the day before I took him to the vet, do you think that would be sufficient? Or should I do it again?

That is a judgement call. I would think you are OK though.

Just because I am in the mood to do it, in the Red Cross, we use a model for infection control. There are four things that have to happen to get infected by some pathogen.

1. The pathogen has to be present. This implies that the germ exists in the area (few Americans have to worry about Tse-Tse Flies, etc.), AND that the environment and surfaces are not sterile. Using heat or chemical sterilization, disposable supplies, etc. helps break this step. If your tort is sick, you can be reasonably sure pathogens are present.

2. The pathogen has to be present in adequate numbers. Most surfaces around us are crawling with germs, but few are present in big enough numbers to affect us. Most cleaning and washing is just done to reduce the numbers of pathogens. Unfortunately- this is where the warm, humid Red-foot habitat is a problem- pathogens flourish in places like this!

3. The pathogens need an entry site. In a human, this is cuts, mucus membranes, etc. In tortoises, this is through eyes, mouth, nose, wounds, or damage to scutes or scales. In humans, we can protect entry sites but it is a lot harder to do that in the tortoises.

4. You need to be susceptible to the pathogen. Humans are immune to a lot of stuff tortoises carry and vice versa, but this also implies that the immune system is strong. With our torts, this means good diet, good vitamin/mineral balance, good warmth, low stress.

The idea of nursing care for torts is partially designed to help break the cycle of infection.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
The vet just gave me a new dose of baytril shots. I am really hoping for the best. I don't know what to do if these don't work.

How long should I wait after the new series?

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I think he's getting better!!!

When I pick him up for his shots and soaks, he barely breaths out of his mouth. His eyes are still shut, but I have the eye antibiotic for that.

He's still not eating on his own, but I've been putting him in lukewarm water with a little babyfood and mazuri, and he's been eating that (I assume as he's been dunking his head into the mix). I'm going to try the pumpkin, water and mazuri tonight as I only had two small bottles of baby food.

I may blend up butternut squash and some greens for him this weekend if he continues to get better.

Any other suggestions?

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
dominoeating.jpg

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Is your vet experienced with torts?
I just stumbled on this at the World Chelonian Trust and it was a very interesting read... and it made me think of you immediately. As I always say, I'm just a newb, alot of these guys around here know alot more than me, but this scared me.

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Medical_misinformation.htm

makes me really question a vet sending a customer home with baytril shots, or is this site quackpots? didn't seem that way.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think thats the best you can hope for at this point Whitney. How long since he has eaten? The longer they go without, the tougher to get them eating again. Anything that might seem tasty to the little guy is good--whether it be greens, fruit, squash, Mazuri, etc. Treat foods to get him started on the whole food thing (then switching back to better choices) are just fine.

Thanks for the info Mark. I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to deal with an RI. Thankfully we've *just* had to deal with parasites at my house so far.

Good article, Balboa. I would hope that Whitney's vet gave her proper instruction (and demo) on how to do the shots, where to inject. It does seem common practice for vets to send injectable meds home for the owner to use on their reptile for multi dose meds. I do think that article made some good points (such as not just treating parasites without testing), but also, it didn't seem to point out that sometimes us on the forum for example may know more than our vet--many vets have outdated info, treat so many different kinds of exotic animals they just don't have a lot of info on torts, don't see torts very often but don't tell the owner that as they don't want to turn away the money, etc. I think it also needs to be buyer beware when you take your tort to the vet--look for red flags, make sure they test and not just treat, and double check meds & doses online.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Couldn't agree more Kate. May be adopting another Redfoot here soon (apparently we're the local rescue now) from a local store that has shell rot and depression/malaise whatever it is the poor things go through. They took him to the vet, who gave them (from my very limited, but so far successful thanks to good info received here, experience in treating shell rot) totally inadequate instruction on treating it. whew that was a mouthful.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the article. I'm about to go read it.

I did get proper instructions and a tutorial. I tried to get the vet to keep Domino through the shots, but she said no. She is experienced with red foots, and even had one at one point before she ended up rehoming it with a guy at a local college.

Status
Not open for further replies.