Help! Very Lethargic baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey- I got 2 baby redfoots today. One of the redfoots ate a bit of strawberry today, has clear eyes, and has walked around a little. The second one has swollen eyes that he won't open and does not respond to stimulus. If I touch his legs he will withdraw a little, but mostly he is just sitting in the place I put him.
Heat- around 85-90F
humidity- 90-95%
right now he is under a night-time heat lamp, during the day I have a "basking" lamp w/UVA (UVB is not a problem with redfoots or so i've been told/read)
1/2 container is spagnum moss, misted, with hide,
1/2 container is "clean" (no substrate) under heat lamp.
2 shallow water dishes avaliable

Called the breeder and said that he might just be stressed... but he is REALLY lethargic/unresponsive- i'm not sure he's moved since he's been here.

He arrived by 1 hour car ride- was not shipped

thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Avocado034 said:
The second one has swollen eyes that he won't open and does not respond to stimulus. If I touch his legs he will withdraw a little, but mostly he is just sitting in the place I put him.

You need to trade that baby for a healthy one. Swollen eyes don't appear overnight. The baby was sick when you got it.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Avocado034 said:
The second one has swollen eyes that he won't open and does not respond to stimulus. If I touch his legs he will withdraw a little, but mostly he is just sitting in the place I put him.

You need to trade that baby for a healthy one. Swollen eyes don't appear overnight. The baby was sick when you got it.

Yvonne
I agree with Yvonne, get back with breeder immediately. The baby was sick when you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.