help! very lethargic baby redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey- I got 2 baby redfoots today. One of the redfoots ate a bit of strawberry today, has clear eyes, and has walked around a little. The second one has swollen eyes that he won't open and does not respond to stimulus. If I touch his legs he will withdraw a little, but mostly he is just sitting in the place I put him.
Heat- around 85-90F
humidity- 90-95%
right now he is under a night-time heat lamp, during the day I have a "basking" lamp w/UVA (UVB is not a problem with redfoots or so i've been told/read)
1/2 container is spagnum moss, misted, with hide,
1/2 container is "clean" (no substrate) under heat lamp.
2 shallow water dishes avaliable

Called the breeder and said that he might just be stressed... but he is REALLY lethargic/unresponsive- i'm not sure he's moved since he's been here.

He arrived by 1 hour car ride- was not shipped

thank you!

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Most tortoises need some time to settle in to a new environment. One of my hatchling didn't eat for two days when I first got her. How did he look when you saw him at the breeder's when you pick them up? Have you soaked them in a shallow luke warm water? If you feel that he's really lethargic, I would take him to a vet right away. You want to be safe than sorry.

I hope he is doing better today. Let us know how he is doing.
Good luck.

Em

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you so much.... The other baby is still more active, but this guy opened his eyes today when I soaked him and has been wandering around his cage a little, so although is not as active as the other baby, he is better :)

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
YAY. I'm so glad your baby is doing better:D

Em

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Avocado034 said:
The second one has swollen eyes that he won't open and does not respond to stimulus. If I touch his legs he will withdraw a little, but mostly he is just sitting in the place I put him.

He arrived by 1 hour car ride- was not shipped

thank you!

You need to talk to the breeder and ask to exchange the baby for a different one. Swollen eyes don't just happen over night. This baby is sick and needs veterinary care to determine what is wrong. You should start out with a healthy baby, and not be responsible for taking a sick baby to the vet. An hour's drive is not that much. Get another baby and let the breeder tend to the sick one.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.