Am I forgetting anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Hey guys,
I plan on purchasing my first tortoise (leopard)as a Christmas gift for my wife and was hoping someone could let me know if I was forgetting anything? I started of today by making a tortoise table. It's 2ft by 4ft with sides 10in high. I'm not 100% done with it.I plan on making a section to grow a grass mixture in it and still need to make its humid box. I also placed an order online for a therm/ humidity gauge,rheostat, heater wire for under substrate, coconut fiber substrate, 10% UVB bulb, red infrared
100w, heat light, and some calcium d3 vitamins. Can anything think of anything I may have missed? Thanks for any input . I attached a photo of the start of my table.

Rich

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 74

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Richsandwich, and welcome to the Forum!

It might just be a trick of the camera angle, but those sides don't look 10" to me. Once you add in the substrate they'll be even shorter.

I don't like to use the fluorescent UV bulbs for desert-type tortoises. They're fine (in my opinion) for low-light tortoises, but not for leopards.

If your wife is interested in tortoises, this is a pretty nice gift you're getting her.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick reply. It's the camera angle it's a 1x10. I told her I was making a shelf for my Jeep lol. What type of bulb would you suggest for sunlight? I can always return the bulb. She loves turtles of all kinds at the moment we have 2 little stink pot turtles. We've been talking about getting a tortoise so this will def make a great gift.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the Mercury Vapor Bulbs. Its like a spot light, and it is UVB and heat in the same bulb.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
emysemys said:
I don't like to use the fluorescent UV bulbs for desert-type tortoises. They're fine (in my opinion) for low-light tortoises, but not for leopards.

That's the first time I'm hearing this. Most people have been recommending fluorescent tubes and the reptisun 10.0 UBV tube is advertised for desert species.

The only reason why I didn't go with a MVB is because of too many reviews saying they didn't last long for the price.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Ok another question or two I need an answer for. I'm going to be placing the mvb bulb over the basking area at one end of the table. Then I'm also placing the heater wire under about half the table so if he wants to cool down he/she will be able to walk to the other half. As far as his hide that will be at the opposite end of the tableand at night I will have a red 100w bulb to heat the hide.Is that ok to leave on at night and shut off the Mvb bulb at the other end? Also I'm going to get a piece of plexi glass but its only going to be 2x2 and cover half the table that has the hide box and have the basking area uncovered. Do you think that will be a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.