Am I forgetting anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwendy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
My 2 babies will be here on Tuesday, so I'm in full-on set-up mode. (Plus shopping helps to pass the time. :rolleyes:) So far, I picked up:

1 strip light, to hold...
1 uva/uvb flourescent tube light
1 clamp lamp with basking bulb
cypress mulch
timothy hay
grassland tortoise food (for variety)
water conditioner
calcium powder (phosphate-free)
shell conditioner
flower pot saucer for water
log hide

And I still need to pick up:
a new hygrometer
a new thermometer
a chunk of slate to lay out their food on

I'm also still tossing around which would be best for bitty babies, a 10 gallon tank, a 29 gallon tall tank, or a plain old plastic bin. Any opinions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Laura was worried you planned it for substrate. Not a good substrate as it molds easily.

Very young tortoises won't eat hay. Not until they get to be 5 or 6 years old. Your Hermann's tortoise might not eat it at all. I think they eat more broad-leaf plants than grasses (but I don't know that much about hermanns')

justwendy

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
emysemys said:
I think Laura was worried you planned it for substrate. Not a good substrate as it molds easily.

Ah, I see. lol I wouldn't dream of it. :)

Well if they won't eat it, I'm sure my husband's gerbils will gladly take it off my hands.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
You might try soaking the hay for about 8 hours, then offering it, but it may still get ignored. The grassland tortoise food may also get ignored, depending on the tortoise...otoh, a member here (Coastal) sells Marion Redstick tortoise kibble that you can soak until soft, then mix with chopped weeds/cactus/veggies that they'll love...2# will feed them for a very long time and cost quite a bit less over that period than the grassland tortoise food (and get free shipping!). Easily stores in the 'fridge or freezer.

If a hatchling, figure 2 pieces per tortling, larger would get more (my adults get 6 pieces each).

As for a container, I'd opt for the longest, widest plastic storage tub you can find...height is not too important, anything over 10-12 is fine.

Welcome to Tortoise Forum and the honor of sharing your life with the BEST tortoise species! :cool:

justwendy

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
wellington said:

Thanks! :)

Terry Allan Hall said:
You might try soaking the hay for about 8 hours, then offering it, but it may still get ignored. The grassland tortoise food may also get ignored, depending on the tortoise...otoh, a member here (Coastal) sells Marion Redstick tortoise kibble that you can soak until soft, then mix with chopped weeds/cactus/veggies that they'll love...2# will feed them for a very long time and cost quite a bit less over that period than the grassland tortoise food (and get free shipping!). Easily stores in the 'fridge or freezer.

If a hatchling, figure 2 pieces per tortling, larger would get more (my adults get 6 pieces each).

As for a container, I'd opt for the longest, widest plastic storage tub you can find...height is not too important, anything over 10-12 is fine.

Welcome to Tortoise Forum and the honor of sharing your life with the BEST tortoise species! :cool:

Ty for the advice. :)

nicolehh11

5 Year Member
I use a large "under the bed" rubbermaid container, can't remember the exact dimensions though and it works great. I use top soil as a substrate and once a week get the soil moist and turn it. Mine doesn't eat Timothy hay but he loves to sleep under it so I have a small amount in the corner for him to sleep under. The only issue I have with the tub is humidity but I'm waiting for my MVB bulb to come in and I've made some adjustments to the tub lid so I'm hoping that will help with my humidity issue.

Be sure to post pics when your babies arrive! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.