Aloha

Annabel

Location (City and/or State)
Hawai'i
Aloha y'all--we just got a Russian tortoise and named her Olivia. She is officially our son's tortoise but I have fallen in love with her.
I think she already knows my voice, three days in.
Much love,
Annabel

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Annabel

Hawai'i
I'll post pics tomorrow--already I'm bedded down tonight and haven't taken pics. I want to hear any and all opinions on what I've done so far--I've never had a tortoise before, and I will happily make her life as dreamy and happy as a tortoise can have
I am finding out that I can love a reptile, and that the work I put in shores up more love for her ❤️
The first day we started with a completely inadequate enclosure (Saturday). So Sunday after work I went and bought a huge bookcase, and built it in the living room. Lined it with plastic on the bottom and then placed textured interlocking exercise pads (cut to fit) over that. Then loads of cypress mulch and coco coir for substrate. The bookcase is 30" by 72" by 12". Cut a little doorway in the fixed shelf.
Furnished with a hollow overturned log for hidey-hole; long log piece for ramp; large rock for basking; and a large, shallow water fixture.
Covered with wire closet shelving. Affixed a 100 watt UVA bulb in a clamp lamp and a 10.0 UVB in a clamp lamp beside it.
Olivia seems totally delighted with her house. She went exploring this evening and I couldn't believe how fast she can get around!
When I talk to her she sticks her head way out and looks at me and blinks. I can tell she listens to my voice ❤️

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome!
Lighting type has been a critical area semi recently. The Compact Florescent "coiled" type bulbs sold at most every pet shop have been damaging tortoises eyes. Please post a photo of your lighting. If you have one of these, you can stop using it before any damage is done.

Annabel

Hawai'i
Thank you.
The UVA is a round bulb...the UVB is a two-part. But I'll post pics in the morning

Annabel

Hawai'i
Good morning! As promised, pics of Olivia's new house...her house is 6 feet long and 3 feet wide...separated into a living room and a bedroom. Her furnishings are spare, and we haven't yet "decorated" because she just moved in image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Annabel

Hawai'i
You can see she spent the night in her bedroom, snugly burrowed in. She is just starting to wake up this morning.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Annabel and welcome to you and Olivier. The enclosure is a good size, and when you start to decorate some plants in there will help with humidity and make her feel more secure, but if shop bought - repot them in chemical/fertiliser free soil and allow some time for any that may have been used by the store as sprays etc to grow out. Spider plants are a popular choice and www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will help you ID which plants are tort safe or not for food and enclosures. Many people leave them in pots or trays and bury them in the substrate - that way they are easy to take out and replace if nibbled or bulldozed. A shallow terracotta plant saucer big enough for Olivia to self soak in and sunk level with the substrate will be a safer water dish and easier for her to use. The one you have looks a bit steep sided in the pictures and torts can flip backwards in those and drown - so better safe than sorry!
There's lots to learn but this is the best place to learn it from very experienced keepers who, thankfully share their tried and tested methods with us. Best wishes to you both.

Annabel

Hawai'i
Thank you!
So funny, I was reading your reply and while I was in the middle of it this happened:
image.jpeg but I do think you're right about the water bowl.
This was the first time I've seen her get in it!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is the wood sealed or has a liner been used?
I ask because unless it is solid wood (most arent) it will quickly start to swell and crumble if you add water by spraying the enclosure or even from a water bowl spill.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Hi and welcome. This is a great place to learn and get info. Many knolagable people. Good luck with your new baby!

Annabel

Hawai'i
Is the wood sealed or has a liner been used?
I ask because unless it is solid wood (most arent) it will quickly start to swell and crumble if you add water by spraying the enclosure or even from a water bowl spill.
I lined it with plastic. It isn't real wood but it is laminated.

Annabel

Hawai'i
I like the pre-made wire shelving material used for a top. That would be very helpful to suggest to anyone looking for secure top options!
It works really well, and is quite heavy. I also weight down the ends when I'm not here, as I have two very small dogs (9 lbs and 5 lbs) and I have to know Olivia is secure.