Allowing a tortoise to roam kitchen.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
That would be AWSOME! My baby Eastern Box poops in her pond AND SHE PEES ON ME!

I tried to put a mask on her to prevent Covid. Did not work out well at all! (Sarcasm).
Well with a little Boxie, I've found that they don't like to fly ? so carry them on a little pillow or towel and you won't have what feels like a fire hose filling your shoe situation ?? no sarcasm intended ?it worked for me.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I let mine roam the Sun room when it’s chilly out. Course it’s open to the rest of the house, so he goes on walkabout. Then I tell the dogs to go find him for me! And they always do - tucked into a warm corner somewhere. So far he hasn’t pooped in the house, but maybe I’ve just been lucky. As I have Depends in the house I just might give that a try. Brilliant idea!
Apart from the many posts about injuries and deaths caused when torts roam the house there are also many sad stories about torts killed by trusted and trained family dogs who have suddenly been spooked by the tort or decided to use it as a toy chew. Everyone of them thought their torts were safe - until they weren't. Your tort would be much safer in a big enclosure of his own to roam or blocked into the Sun room.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That would be AWSOME! My baby Eastern Box poops in her pond AND SHE PEES ON ME!

I tried to put a mask on her to prevent Covid. Did not work out well at all! (Sarcasm).
I don't think it's healthy for the tort - they need to be able freely move their tails when peeing and pooping and passing urates.
If you use the search facility you'll find a recent thread and discussion about using diapers/nappies on torts.