Is he asking to come inside?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Gomez, one of our juvenile CDTs, is allowed to free-roam the back yard when we're home. Lately he's taken to sitting by the back steps to the kitchen door. On the other side of that door is the night box where he sleeps.

Gomez and his sister both come inside at night this time of year, but they don't eat in the house or do anything in here except sleep. He has lots of places to hide outside in the yard, including some favorite spots like his wood pile. And the sun is shining right now so there's ample opportunity to warm up out there. Is he asking to come inside? If so, why?

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
most likely, open the door for him and see what he does. and why: because they prefer outdoors, he probably wants to go tan. haha

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

im sure its warmer there or something and its drawing him to the spot

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. He is outside right now, but sitting right next to the door where we bring him inside to put him in his night box. It's not a spot he's ever hung out in before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm guessing he wants to be inside his night box.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
oh i must have skipped where it said 'on the back steps to the kitchen door' haha, sorry about that.

0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They remember where their night boxes are. My tortoises that live outside come and go in and out of their boxes several times a day.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately we don't have a setup that allows them to come in and out as of now. Here's a picture of the steps -- they're too tall for a little juvenile to climb.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381700330.412875.jpg
I moved him over to one of his daytime hides. He seems resigned to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
thatrebecca said:
Unfortunately we don't have a setup that allows them to come in and out as of now. Here's a picture of the steps -- they're too tall for a little juvenile to climb.

I moved him over to one of his daytime hides. He seems resigned to it.

Build a ramp out of plywood and install the appropriate sized "doggie door"...you'll be amazed at how fast a tortoise'll learn to use either! :cool:

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My adult male roams the backyard but he knows where the food comes from. He'll walk up to the back door and look inside a few times a day hoping I'll drop some food outside for him. If we leave the door open, he'll just walk on inside. It is quite a funny sight.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
This is what happens when my back door is left open. This is Momma my oldest and biggest Russian girl. She has never stayed in the house for any reason, she just likes to explore in typical Russian fashion. Between her and Tucker my male that I have had forever I am often being visited. I think they come in looking for me, and treats of course! Tucker has been known to come in and perch on top of my feet while I am standing at the kitchen sink. It as a real suprise the first time he did that! But after twenty years I am used to it.
20130612_105016.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
kanalomele said:
This is what happens when my back door is left open. This is Momma my oldest and biggest Russian girl. She has never stayed in the house for any reason, she just likes to explore in typical Russian fashion. Between her and Tucker my male that I have had forever I am often being visited. I think they come in looking for me, and treats of course! Tucker has been known to come in and perch on top of my feet while I am standing at the kitchen sink. It as a real suprise the first time he did that! But after twenty years I am used to it.

Hah! I love it! Do you ever worry about tripping on them? They seem like they'd be easier to miss than a dog or cat. My guys are still so little -- I'm terrified to let them get underfoot.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
Thor will walk back an forth at the door until I let him in . The he will walk all over in my room, down the hall, in the family room, and where ever his heart desires. It's cute to me. He is a spoiled tortoise.

OCTortoiseGuy

10 Year Member!
Orange County, CA
My CDT's Will come inside when ever the back door is left open. It usually seems to be after they have been in the sun for a long time and would like to cool down. I have had many a morning when I thought they were in there enclosure at night but wake up to them setting at the back door waiting to go out:)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
thatrebecca said:
kanalomele said:

Hah! I love it! Do you ever worry about tripping on them? They seem like they'd be easier to miss than a dog or cat. My guys are still so little -- I'm terrified to let them get underfoot.

My male is built like a tank! I dont think it would hurt any of them to get a solid foot nudge. I have to admit to stepping in to him(not on him yet thank goodness)clipping him with my toes a time or two. But Im usually pretty aware of the shenanigans. The girls who come in are the biggest ones. I can always count on a few of them to come in during nesting season. They roam everywhere looking for good nesting sites. I regularly will find one in a hallway or in a closet when they are nesting.