All she does is sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

'nelope

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Pennsylvania
I'm new to tortoise keeping... and im not sure what is normal and what isnt, so bare with me here. Since I brought Penelope home she hasnt touched her food... and doesnt seem interested in her water/ soaking dish. She's very active for all of 5 minutes when we have her out... but once she finds a corner she feels comfortable it she just goes to sleep. Is this normal???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For the most part this is normal, they dont like change, so when change occurs, they often take awhile to readjust.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A tortoise can take weeks to settle into a new home and decide that you and its enclosure are to be trusted, so this behaviour is not necessarily worrying. They can be very slow to realise you're a good guy!

Very young tortoises sleep a lot anyway, just like babies. You haven't said what specie or how old Penelope is.

If temperatures are wrong, this can affect activity levels, so it is important that you measure them in the 4 important places: Warm end, Cool end, Under the basking lamp and the overnight minimum. Let us know what they are.

Resist the temptation to stand over her watching... at the moment you are intimidating to her!

For new tortoises, I recommend establishing a routine so that she learns what to expect and when. I suggest you start her a day at roughly the same times with lights on, heat on (use a timer), soak (helps with hydration and gets her used to being handled) and then feed.

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see her drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than her. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

Finally, give Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread a good read; it has lots of useful information :)

'nelope

5 Year Member
Southern Pennsylvania
Im not sure how old she is as i got her at a local pet store... but she's not very large. She's a Russian. its around 85 on the warm end... in the high 70's on the cool end and around 90 ish under the basking lamp, the overnight min. is around mid 70's.
i am trying to establish a routine... but the boyfriend and i both work overnight and long hours and i know tortoises like the daylight :) (i'm usually up until about noon so this isnt an all the time problem) Im trying to work my schedule around her :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what are you feeding her? maybe she doesn't recognise it as food.
But it can take time to adjust. Don't move her to different areas until she gets used to one.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Shes very stressed from the big move and things.
What are you trying to feed her? basking temps should be 95f with a cooler end, and water dish :p

'nelope

5 Year Member
Southern Pennsylvania
Ive tried Kale, lettuce, we got her pellets. I asked the guy at the petstore what they fed her and thats what they told me. I also sprinkled her pellets with calcium powder. I bumped up the temp. I'm trying to get it to stabalize... but we dont have a/c in our house... so fans arent very good as far as regulated temps...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you have a thermometer to measure temperature? If not you get a cheap digital one from (Amazon and eBay sell them) and be certain exactly what they are.

Kale and lettuce are fine as part of a mixed diet, but they shouldn't be the only greens you feed her.

You can look up plants you know by name that you have in the garden or find in the shops or supermarket on The Tortoise Table Plant database to see what is good to feed.

This Plant Booklet is handy as it has pictures for you to compare with what you see!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Warmer temps and longer daylight hours might help. Try lowering your basking lamp and getting the temp up to 100, right under the lamp. Set it on a timer for 14 hours. Then let things cool to room temp at night.

Also being a newly imported tortoise, she's likely dehydrated from her recent trials and tribulations. I would do a warm water shallow soak daily for at least a couple of weeks and leave her alone the rest of the time to settle in. What size is your enclosure? Do you have an outdoor enclosure? What part of the country are you in?

'nelope

5 Year Member
Southern Pennsylvania
She gets a soak every day, she's in a 40 Gallon, and while she doesnt have an outdoor enclosure we take her outside everyday. I live in southern PA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think it will just take some time for her to settle in. You can always take a fecal sample in to the vet to check for any parasites. A 40 is too small, but that's not the reason for your current issue. Still I'd work on a bigger enclosure. You could also try some Mazuri. Many tortoises find that irresistible. You could also try some baby food soaks. Carrots or yams mixed with some warm water might perk her up a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.